Re: [PBML] (my vs our) && warnings

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8 5:46 PM
      On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:28:11 -0600 (CST), Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
      > I was playing around with a script the other day when I noticed that
      > despite the fact that I had warnings turned on, I wasn't getting a warning
      > that I had used a variable only once. (Using a variable only once is, of
      > course, an indicator that you have a typo.) Then I noticed that I had
      > scoped
      > the variable with 'my'. I replaced 'my' with 'our' (which doesn't lexically
      > scope the variable, but satisfies the 'strict' pragma). I then got an
      > error.
      >
      > So, the question is: how do I 'use warnings' && use my && get notified
      > about
      > variables I'm only using once?
      >
      > Paul

      use strict;

      http://www.newbie.org/snippets/cgi/content/general10.html
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8 6:33 PM
        5:46pm, Stevo wrote:

        > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:28:11 -0600 (CST), Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
        >> I was playing around with a script the other day when I noticed that
        >> despite the fact that I had warnings turned on, I wasn't getting a warning
        >> that I had used a variable only once. (Using a variable only once is, of
        >> course, an indicator that you have a typo.) Then I noticed that I had
        >> scoped
        >> the variable with 'my'. I replaced 'my' with 'our' (which doesn't lexically
        >> scope the variable, but satisfies the 'strict' pragma). I then got an
        >> error.
        >>
        >> So, the question is: how do I 'use warnings' && use my && get notified
        >> about
        >> variables I'm only using once?
        >>
        >> Paul
        >
        > use strict;
        >
        > http://www.newbie.org/snippets/cgi/content/general10.html

        If I weren't using strict, do you think I'd be worried about delcaring my
        variables?

        shebop:~ # cat /tmp/warning-strict.pl
        #!/usr/bin/perl
        use strict;
        use warnings;

        my $my_variable_used_only_once=1;
        our $our_variable_used_only_once=1;
        $main::global_variable_used_only_once=1;
        print "the script is running\n";
        shebop:~ # perl -v

        This is perl, v5.8.3 built for i586-linux-thread-multi
        [...etc...]

        shebop:~ # /tmp/warning-strict.pl
        Name "main::global_variable_used_only_once" used only once: possible typo at
        /tmp/warning-strict.pl line 7.
        the script is running
        shebop:~ #
      • daymobrew@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9 4:41 AM
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
          > 5:46pm, Stevo wrote:
          >

          > > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:28:11 -0600 (CST), Paul Archer <tigger@i...>
          wrote:
          > >> I was playing around with a script the other day when I noticed that
          > >> despite the fact that I had warnings turned on, I wasn't getting
          a warning
          > >> that I had used a variable only once. (Using a variable only
          once is, of
          > >> course, an indicator that you have a typo.) Then I noticed that
          I had
          > >> scoped
          > >> the variable with 'my'. I replaced 'my' with 'our' (which
          doesn't lexically
          > >> scope the variable, but satisfies the 'strict' pragma). I then
          got an
          > >> error.
          > >>
          > >> So, the question is: how do I 'use warnings' && use my && get
          notified
          > >> about
          > >> variables I'm only using once?
          > >>
          > >> Paul
          > >
          > > use strict;
          > >
          > > http://www.newbie.org/snippets/cgi/content/general10.html
          > >
          > If I weren't using strict, do you think I'd be worried about
          delcaring my
          > variables?
          >
          > shebop:~ # cat /tmp/warning-strict.pl
          > #!/usr/bin/perl
          > use strict;
          > use warnings;
          >
          > my $my_variable_used_only_once=1;
          > our $our_variable_used_only_once=1;
          > $main::global_variable_used_only_once=1;
          > print "the script is running\n";
          > shebop:~ # perl -v
          >
          > This is perl, v5.8.3 built for i586-linux-thread-multi
          >
          > shebop:~ # /tmp/warning-strict.pl
          > Name "main::global_variable_used_only_once" used only once: possible
          typo at
          > /tmp/warning-strict.pl line 7.
          > the script is running
          > shebop:~ #

          Hack idea: sed 's/my /our /' warning_scrict.pl >ws.pl; perl -wc ws.pl

          Ugly, I know but it did report '$my_variable_used_only_once'.
          I too would like this functionality.