Multicast implementation in Perl

  • lakshmi.sailaja@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2005
      Hello,

      I would like to implement multicast functionality in Perl. I have found
      the following IO:Socket:Multicast module in CPAN

      http://search.cpan.org/~lds/IO-Socket-Multicast-0.21/Multicast.pm

      But the above module contains Multicast.xs along with Multicast.pm.

      Since that the program I write, should be used by the client side, I do
      not want to install the module. Hence I have created a folder called
      "IO" under the project's working directory (projectfolder) and a
      subfolder "Socket" under "IO". I then copied the Mulitcast.pm in the
      folder projectfolder/IO/Socket.

      But since Mulitcast.pm requires Multicast.xs, I have copied Multicast.xs
      also in the subfolder projectfolder/IO/Socket. But Mulitcast.xs doesn't
      seem to be a Perl file, hence, I am unable to compile it.

      Can anyone please tell me how can I can compile Multicast.xs and make
      the above procedure work or if there is any other module which uses only
      a .pm file?

      Thanks for your time and response.

      Regards,
      Lakshmi
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
        Start by learning a little more about compiling perl modules. Then get the
        module working on your own machine and make sure it does what you want. Then
        read about PAR, the Perl ARchiver, which will help you bundle the module so
        that you can give it to a client without them having to install the module.

        12:32pm, lakshmi.sailaja@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I would like to implement multicast functionality in Perl. I have found
        > the following IO:Socket:Multicast module in CPAN
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~lds/IO-Socket-Multicast-0.21/Multicast.pm
        >
        > But the above module contains Multicast.xs along with Multicast.pm.
        >
        > Since that the program I write, should be used by the client side, I do
        > not want to install the module. Hence I have created a folder called
        > "IO" under the project's working directory (projectfolder) and a
        > subfolder "Socket" under "IO". I then copied the Mulitcast.pm in the
        > folder projectfolder/IO/Socket.
        >
        > But since Mulitcast.pm requires Multicast.xs, I have copied Multicast.xs
        > also in the subfolder projectfolder/IO/Socket. But Mulitcast.xs doesn't
        > seem to be a Perl file, hence, I am unable to compile it.
        >
        > Can anyone please tell me how can I can compile Multicast.xs and make
        > the above procedure work or if there is any other module which uses only
        > a .pm file?
        >
        > Thanks for your time and response.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Lakshmi

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Emacs is a great operating system---it lacks a good editor, though.
        --------http://www.thomer.com/vi/vi.html (Vi Lovers' Page)---------
      • lakshmi.sailaja@wipro.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
          Thanks Paul.