Text::Query::ParseAdvanced throwing error

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      I'm trying to use Text::Query::ParseAdvanced, but when I 'use' the module, I
      get the following error:
      Text::Query::ParseAdvanced::factor() called too early to check prototype at
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Text/Query/ParseAdvanced.pm line 114.

      This is line 114:
      $rv = $self->build_negation(factor($self));

      It's inside a subroutine that starts:
      sub factor($){

      I don't know enough about prototypes to know what exactly is going on here.
      I do know that if I change the above line to
      sub factor(){
      things work OK (as far as I can tell). But the problem is that I want to
      distribute my script, and I don't want to have to tell people to install a
      certain module--oh, and by the way, you're going to have to fix it.

      So, what's the best way to handle this?

      Thanks,

      Paul

      ---------------------------------------
      -- In 1555, Nostradamus wrote: --
      -- Come the millennium, month 12, --
      -- In the home of greatest power, --
      -- The village idiot will come forth --
      -- To be acclaimed the leader. --
      ---------------------------------------
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        Yesterday, Paul Archer wrote:

        > I'm trying to use Text::Query::ParseAdvanced, but when I 'use' the module, I
        > get the following error:
        > Text::Query::ParseAdvanced::factor() called too early to check prototype at
        > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Text/Query/ParseAdvanced.pm line 114.
        >
        > This is line 114:
        > $rv = $self->build_negation(factor($self));
        >
        > It's inside a subroutine that starts:
        > sub factor($){
        >
        > I don't know enough about prototypes to know what exactly is going on here.
        > I do know that if I change the above line to
        > sub factor(){

        Small correction: If I change the line to 'sub factor {' it works...

        > things work OK (as far as I can tell). But the problem is that I want to
        > distribute my script, and I don't want to have to tell people to install a
        > certain module--oh, and by the way, you're going to have to fix it.
        >
        > So, what's the best way to handle this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Paul

        > -- In 1555, Nostradamus wrote: --
        > -- Come the millennium, month 12, --
        > -- In the home of greatest power, --
        > -- The village idiot will come forth --
        > -- To be acclaimed the leader. --

        "Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
        if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!"
        ___________Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass"_________________