Re: [PBML] hi there....!!!

  • J.E. Cripps
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004

      > Hi everyone...
      >
      > My name is Nikunj. I want to write perl script which will read
      > the COFF file and give information about sectors and symbols and address
      > as well. Can some one give me good logic to do so...!!!!

      Not I, read on.

      > Is it possible...!!!!!

      Might be possible but would not be anyone's choice for a beginner
      Perl foray.

      ISTR hearing about COFF files in the context of dgjpp (the Win*
      C Compiler) If that's what you mean, my impression is that
      COFF files are object files and not text files. Dgjpp is a
      noble project, but I use gcc (when I need a C compiler)

      COFF was the acronym for "Common Object File Format" most UNIXers were
      accustomed to use way back when AFAIF, and I assume that's where
      Delorie et. al. got the term.

      Other formats, e.g. ELF ("Extensible Linking Format) have been
      much more used since then, see:

      http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.03.shtml
      Why use (what are) a.out and ELF executable formats?