RE: [PBML] Absolute beginner problem

  • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
      What's the output from "ls -la helloworld.pl"?

      I take it you're running a Mac?

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
        > I tried running some python scripts using the same text editors and
        > they run without any problems. So, it seems that it is just my perl
        > interpretor that cannot read my text files. Surprisingly, though, I
        > do not get any error messages. This is what makes the problem
        > frustrating.

        some of your messages contain what seem to be errors e.g.
        an o with an umlaut instead of a hyphen in
        perl -e 'print "Hello World\n";'

        I don't know what would do this or whether it is related to your
        problem

        can you do a simple cat command

        cat > hw.pl
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        print "Hello World\n";

        ^D to end the file (not sure what that would be in a Mac)
      • robkmaeda
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hello again,

          I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
          perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line. If I type
          % which perl

          it tells me that perl is in

          /usr/bin/perl

          I think the file is supposedly executable because I can do as you say
          and "ls -al helloworld.pl" and get the following:

          -rwxr-xr-x 1 rob admin 60 11 Oct 18:39 helloworld.pl

          I am running a mac with OS X 10.3.5, on a G4 500MHz Tibook. I wonder
          if this is just a mac problem. I tried to running a similar python
          script and found that anytime I added the shebang, I got the error:

          print: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

          This is diferent than when I try to run the program with perl, as I
          get absolutely no error message. Also, with python, I can run the
          program with the shebang if I type in:

          % python helloworld.py

          With this command I get no errors. If I do the same with perl, I get
          no output at all (no errors or print).

          Of course python and perl are different, so I don't know how much we
          can compare.

          Thanks again,

          Rob

          PS- I hope you can read this message without problems (no umlauts on
          my screen, in reference to a previous message). If there are weird
          characters showing up, then I really must have a problem.

          notify Postmaster@d...

        • Jeff Eggen
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
            >>> robkmaeda@... 12/10/2004 3:32:16 am >>>
            >I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
            >perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line.

            What shell are you using?

            Jeff Eggen
            IT Programmer Analyst
            Saskatchewan Government Insurance
            Ph (306) 751-1795
            email jeggen@...
            ************DISCLAIMER*************
            This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
            ************DISCLAIMER*************
          • robkmaeda
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
              Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
              Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell. Although,
              the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
              quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
              when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
              an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an IDE.

              Thanks,

              Rob

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Eggen" <jeggen@s...> wrote:
              > >I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
              > >perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line.
              >
              > What shell are you using?
              >
              > Jeff Eggen
              > IT Programmer Analyst
              > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
              > Ph (306) 751-1795
              > email jeggen@s...
              > ************DISCLAIMER*************
              are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the
              sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
              mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
              intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or
              distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
              > ************DISCLAIMER*************
            • Jeff Eggen
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                >>> robkmaeda@... 12/10/2004 9:21:48 am >>>
                >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                >Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                Although,
                >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                >quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                >when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
                >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                IDE.

                Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?

                Jeff Eggen
                IT Programmer Analyst
                Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                Ph (306) 751-1795
                email jeggen@...
                ************DISCLAIMER*************
                This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                ************DISCLAIMER*************
              • Peter Dominey
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                  The default shell for MAC OS X Terminal is tcsh. It really not so far from
                  bash and korn. As for the #! not working that is un true - it works just
                  as any other shell. The most common cause of people thinking it not
                  working is, not having the the current (.) dir defined in their path.

                  tks

                  On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Jeff Eggen wrote:

                  > >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier.  I am using Mac OS X's
                  > >Terminal Application.  It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                  > Although,
                  > >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                  > >quirks.  Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                  > >when running programs through terminal.  I haven't been able to find
                  > >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                  > IDE.
                  >
                  > Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?
                  >
                  > Jeff Eggen
                  > IT Programmer Analyst
                  > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                  > Ph (306) 751-1795
                  > email jeggen@...
                  > ************DISCLAIMER*************
                  > This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
                  > the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
                  > named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
                  > this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
                  > intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the
                  > contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > click here

                  | P J Dominey |
                  | Independent UNIX Contractor |
                  | |
                  | E-Mail: pdominey@... |
                  | Web Site: www.dominey.biz |
                  | Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey |
                • greg.hering@bench.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                    That doesn't seem like that's his problem. He said he entered:

                    ./helloworld.pl

                    at the command prompt.

                    He said that 'perl -v' works, which means that '/usr/bin' is in his
                    path, and the shebang line is a fully qualified path.

                    So (not being a Mac person) does he still need to have '.' in his path?

                    Greg

                    The default shell for MAC OS X Terminal is tcsh. It really not so far
                    from
                    bash and korn. As for the #! not working that is un true - it works just

                    as any other shell. The most common cause of people thinking it not
                    working is, not having the the current (.) dir defined in their path.

                    tks

                    > >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                    > >Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                    > Although,
                    > >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                    > >quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                    > >when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
                    > >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                    > IDE.
                    >
                    > Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?
                    >
                    > Jeff Eggen
                    > IT Programmer Analyst
                    > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                    > Ph (306) 751-1795
                    > email jeggen@...

                  • J.E. Cripps
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                      > Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                      > Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell. Although,
                      > the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                      > quirks.

                      apparently so! thanks for the update