Printing Question

  • Stamper, Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004
      I come from the old days of writing PCL printer driver codes into the
      program. Things like "\e(s5B" to turn on bold. I've recently realized that
      there must be a better way and am looking for the solution.

      I have briefly snooped around foomatic and gimp-print and can see that there
      is a better way to send specific codes at certain parts of my print
      statements, i.e.
      print PRINTER "$FONT1 This is normal $BOLDON and this is bold
      $BOLDOFF";
      This works if I know the correct PCL codes.

      I'm simply missing the connection on where I can setup PERL to read the
      printer's database and allow me to plug in the codes I need to send. I'm
      just looking for a place to start.

      TIA - Steve