Re: How do you export displayed data to Excel or Word?

  • bellendir2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
      Thank you C. Bullard and Murugavel, but I am very beginner in Perl.
      Would you mind elaborating on your answers? I've tried to look them
      up see what you mean but I am lost. Are there any examples on the web
      as to how to do this? An example of the page that contains
      information (html table data) I am trying to export to Word or Excel
      is http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Maribel/Test5

      Thank you again for responding to my post!

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bellendir2000"
      <bellendir2000@y...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
      > web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
      > web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
      > like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
      > page. Thanks.
    • El Rex
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
        Maybe this is minimizing your problem a lot since I tried this solution
        once and it did work, but I hardly remember if it kept the formatting
        you have on your page.

        Build another option from your script to be launched from a separate
        link or button that creates the same page you have, except that instead
        of having the "Content-type" header as "plain/text" or "plain/html",
        try using the MIME-type for Excel which is "application/vnd.ms-excel"
        or simply "application/excel", whichever works. I have not tried it in
        Word, but its MIME-type is "application/msword".

        As I say, maybe this is not what you have in mind, but it may give some
        output.

        Regarding your concern about the other two posts, they were referring
        to Perl modules. You can get those from the CPAN (www.cpan.org, or
        search.cpan.org).

        Some of the modules suggested (e.g. Win32::OLE) are IMHO, overkill for
        what you are looking for. Some of these modules allow you to connect
        directly to existing XL files, read from them and write to specific
        cells. I suggest your try a milder approach.

        Have a look at Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
        (http://search.cpan.org/~jmcnamara/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-2.11/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm).
        This might be what you are looking for, since it includes all settings
        and formats for cells and sheets.

        Best of luck.
        Rex

        --- bellendir2000 <bellendir2000@...> wrote:

        > Thank you C. Bullard and Murugavel, but I am very beginner in Perl.
        > Would you mind elaborating on your answers? I've tried to look them
        > up see what you mean but I am lost. Are there any examples on the web
        >
        > as to how to do this? An example of the page that contains
        > information (html table data) I am trying to export to Word or Excel
        > is http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Maribel/Test5
        >
        > Thank you again for responding to my post!
        >

        > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bellendir2000"
        > <bellendir2000@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
        >
        > > web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
        > > web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
        > > like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
        > > page. Thanks.

      • bellendir2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
          Thank you so much, El. I will take a look at these options.