Re: [PBML] Absolute beginner problem

  • Jenda Krynicky
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
      To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      From: "robkmaeda" <robkmaeda@...>
      Subject: [PBML] Absolute beginner problem

      Please read http://perl.plover.com/Questions.html and/or
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific

      Jenda
      -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
    • robkmaeda
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
        Hello,

        Thanks for the responses (at least some of them).
        I have tried typing in the following in Unix:

        % perl –e 'print "hello world\n"'

        From this line I get the expected:

        hello world

        But I still cannot perl to work from the file I saved.

        Oh, and I'm sorry about the first message, the

        ./helloworld

        should have been

        ./helloworld.pl

        Thanks,
        Rob

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
        > 12:35pm, robkmaeda wrote:
        >

        > > I just picked up a book on Perl (Beginning Perl -Simon Cozens). I
        > > have been reading it for a few days and just started trying the
        > > examples. My problem is that I can't get even the first example (the
        > > "Hello world example) to work. I am running Mac OSX with Perl 5.8.1
        > > RC3. I typed the following into my text editor:
        > >

        > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        > >
        > > print "Hello, world!\n";
        > >
        > > Then I saved it as helloworld.pl
        > >
        > > I went into Terminal (Unix Shell) and moved into the directory it was
        > > placed in and typed chmod 755 helloworld.pl
        > > and tried to run it in a number of ways.
        > >
        > > I tried typing in Terminal
        > > perl helloworld.pl
        > > ./helloworld
        > >
        > > Anyway, all attempts have come to my typing in stuff into terminal and
        > > getting absolutely nothing printed onto the screen except the prompt.
        > > I am sure perl is in /usr/bin/perl. I don't know what else to do. If
        > > anybody could help me take my first programming step, I'd really
        > > appreciate it.
        > >

        > You're not getting *anything* but a prompt? The first line should have
        > produced output ('perl helloworld.pl') and the second one should
        have given
        > you an error ('./helloworld') because you left off the extension (Unix
        > doesn't drop extensions like Windows does.)
        >
        > Try:
        > perl -e 'print STDOUT "This should work.\n"'
        > and see if you get anything.
      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
          Try just running:
          perl -v

          or

          perl -V

          and see if you get anything from that. If not, are you getting output from
          other commands (if you run an 'ls', for example)?

          4:24pm, robkmaeda wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Thanks for the responses (at least some of them).
          > I have tried typing in the following in Unix:
          >
          > % perl –e 'print "hello world\n"'
          >
          > >From this line I get the expected:
          >
          > hello world
          >
          > But I still cannot perl to work from the file I saved.
          >
          > Oh, and I'm sorry about the first message, the
          >
          > ./helloworld
          >
          > should have been
          >
          > ./helloworld.pl
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rob
          >

          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
          > > 12:35pm, robkmaeda wrote:
          > >

          > > > I just picked up a book on Perl (Beginning Perl -Simon Cozens). I
          > > > have been reading it for a few days and just started trying the
          > > > examples. My problem is that I can't get even the first example (the
          > > > "Hello world example) to work. I am running Mac OSX with Perl 5.8.1
          > > > RC3. I typed the following into my text editor:
          > > >

          > > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
          > > >
          > > > print "Hello, world!\n";
          > > >
          > > > Then I saved it as helloworld.pl
          > > >
          > > > I went into Terminal (Unix Shell) and moved into the directory it was
          > > > placed in and typed chmod 755 helloworld.pl
          > > > and tried to run it in a number of ways.
          > > >
          > > > I tried typing in Terminal
          > > > perl helloworld.pl
          > > > ./helloworld
          > > >
          > > > Anyway, all attempts have come to my typing in stuff into terminal and
          > > > getting absolutely nothing printed onto the screen except the prompt.
          > > > I am sure perl is in /usr/bin/perl. I don't know what else to do. If
          > > > anybody could help me take my first programming step, I'd really
          > > > appreciate it.
          > > >

          > > You're not getting *anything* but a prompt? The first line should have
          > > produced output ('perl helloworld.pl') and the second one should
          > have given
          > > you an error ('./helloworld') because you left off the extension (Unix
          > > doesn't drop extensions like Windows does.)
          > >
          > > Try:
          > > perl -e 'print STDOUT "This should work.\n"'
          > > and see if you get anything.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Q: What do Winnie-the-Pooh and John the Baptist have in common?
          A: Their middle name.
        • robkmaeda
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
            perl -v and -V both give the perl version and copyright info in
            different degrees of detail. Normal Unix commands like ls work as
            expected too.

            I tried running some python scripts using the same text editors and
            they run without any problems. So, it seems that it is just my perl
            interpretor that cannot read my text files. Surprisingly, though, I
            do not get any error messages. This is what makes the problem
            frustrating.

            Thanks for the help.

          • greg.hering@bench.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
              Try 'which perl' or do 'ls /usr/bin/perl'.

              Maybe your 'magic line' isn't really pointing to Perl...

              Greg

              Thanks for the responses (at least some of them).
              I have tried typing in the following in Unix:

              % perl -e 'print "hello world\n"'

              From this line I get the expected:

              hello world

              But I still cannot perl to work from the file I saved.

              Oh, and I'm sorry about the first message, the

              ./helloworld

              should have been

              ./helloworld.pl

              Thanks,
              Rob

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
              > 12:35pm, robkmaeda wrote:
              >

              > > I just picked up a book on Perl (Beginning Perl -Simon Cozens). I
              > > have been reading it for a few days and just started trying the
              > > examples. My problem is that I can't get even the first example
              (the
              > > "Hello world example) to work. I am running Mac OSX with Perl 5.8.1
              > > RC3. I typed the following into my text editor:
              > >

              > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
              > >
              > > print "Hello, world!\n";
              > >
              > > Then I saved it as helloworld.pl
              > >
              > > I went into Terminal (Unix Shell) and moved into the directory it
              was
              > > placed in and typed chmod 755 helloworld.pl
              > > and tried to run it in a number of ways.
              > >
              > > I tried typing in Terminal
              > > perl helloworld.pl
              > > ./helloworld
              > >
              > > Anyway, all attempts have come to my typing in stuff into terminal
              and
              > > getting absolutely nothing printed onto the screen except the
              prompt.
              > > I am sure perl is in /usr/bin/perl. I don't know what else to do.
              If
              > > anybody could help me take my first programming step, I'd really
              > > appreciate it.
              > >

              > You're not getting *anything* but a prompt? The first line should have
              > produced output ('perl helloworld.pl') and the second one should
              have given
              > you an error ('./helloworld') because you left off the extension (Unix
              > doesn't drop extensions like Windows does.)
              >
              > Try:
              > perl -e 'print STDOUT "This should work.\n"'
              > and see if you get anything.

              Unsubscribing info is here:

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              click here
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q7lq4a/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1097598307/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*htt
              p:/promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2376776/rand=880783579>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Paul Archer
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
                What about my earlier suggestion:

              • Nathan.Jeffrey@dhs.vic.gov.au
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
                  What's the output from "ls -la helloworld.pl"?

                  I take it you're running a Mac?

                  Thanks for the responses (at least some of them).
                  I have tried typing in the following in Unix:

                  % perl -e 'print "hello world\n"'

                  From this line I get the expected:

                  hello world

                  But I still cannot perl to work from the file I saved.

                  Oh, and I'm sorry about the first message, the

                  ./helloworld

                  should have been

                  ./helloworld.pl

                  Thanks,
                  Rob

                  --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                  > 12:35pm, robkmaeda wrote:
                  >

                  > > I just picked up a book on Perl (Beginning Perl -Simon Cozens). I
                  > > have been reading it for a few days and just started trying the
                  > > examples. My problem is that I can't get even the first example
                  (the
                  > > "Hello world example) to work. I am running Mac OSX with Perl 5.8.1
                  > > RC3. I typed the following into my text editor:
                  > >

                  > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                  > >
                  > > print "Hello, world!\n";
                  > >
                  > > Then I saved it as helloworld.pl
                  > >
                  > > I went into Terminal (Unix Shell) and moved into the directory it
                  was
                  > > placed in and typed chmod 755 helloworld.pl
                  > > and tried to run it in a number of ways.
                  > >
                  > > I tried typing in Terminal
                  > > perl helloworld.pl
                  > > ./helloworld
                  > >
                  > > Anyway, all attempts have come to my typing in stuff into terminal
                  and
                  > > getting absolutely nothing printed onto the screen except the
                  prompt.
                  > > I am sure perl is in /usr/bin/perl. I don't know what else to do.
                  If
                  > > anybody could help me take my first programming step, I'd really
                  > > appreciate it.
                  > >

                  > You're not getting *anything* but a prompt? The first line should have
                  > produced output ('perl helloworld.pl') and the second one should
                  have given
                  > you an error ('./helloworld') because you left off the extension (Unix
                  > doesn't drop extensions like Windows does.)
                  >
                  > Try:
                  > perl -e 'print STDOUT "This should work.\n"'
                  > and see if you get anything.

                  Unsubscribing info is here:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify Postmaster@...
                • J.E. Cripps
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 11, 2004
                    > I tried running some python scripts using the same text editors and
                    > they run without any problems. So, it seems that it is just my perl
                    > interpretor that cannot read my text files. Surprisingly, though, I
                    > do not get any error messages. This is what makes the problem
                    > frustrating.

                    some of your messages contain what seem to be errors e.g.
                    an o with an umlaut instead of a hyphen in
                    perl -e 'print "Hello World\n";'

                    I don't know what would do this or whether it is related to your
                    problem

                    can you do a simple cat command

                    cat > hw.pl
                    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                    print "Hello World\n";

                    ^D to end the file (not sure what that would be in a Mac)
                  • robkmaeda
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                      Hello again,

                      I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
                      perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line. If I type
                      % which perl

                      it tells me that perl is in

                      /usr/bin/perl

                      I think the file is supposedly executable because I can do as you say
                      and "ls -al helloworld.pl" and get the following:

                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 rob admin 60 11 Oct 18:39 helloworld.pl

                      I am running a mac with OS X 10.3.5, on a G4 500MHz Tibook. I wonder
                      if this is just a mac problem. I tried to running a similar python
                      script and found that anytime I added the shebang, I got the error:

                      print: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

                      This is diferent than when I try to run the program with perl, as I
                      get absolutely no error message. Also, with python, I can run the
                      program with the shebang if I type in:

                      % python helloworld.py

                      With this command I get no errors. If I do the same with perl, I get
                      no output at all (no errors or print).

                      Of course python and perl are different, so I don't know how much we
                      can compare.

                      Thanks again,

                      Rob

                      PS- I hope you can read this message without problems (no umlauts on
                      my screen, in reference to a previous message). If there are weird
                      characters showing up, then I really must have a problem.

                      notify Postmaster@d...

                    • Jeff Eggen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                        >>> robkmaeda@... 12/10/2004 3:32:16 am >>>
                        >I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
                        >perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line.

                        What shell are you using?

                        Jeff Eggen
                        IT Programmer Analyst
                        Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                        Ph (306) 751-1795
                        email jeggen@...
                        ************DISCLAIMER*************
                        This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                        ************DISCLAIMER*************
                      • robkmaeda
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                          Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                          Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell. Although,
                          the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                          quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                          when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
                          an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an IDE.

                          Thanks,

                          Rob

                          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Eggen" <jeggen@s...> wrote:
                          > >I tried modifying the program last night and found that I could get
                          > >perl to run the script if I got rid of the shebang line.
                          >
                          > What shell are you using?
                          >
                          > Jeff Eggen
                          > IT Programmer Analyst
                          > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                          > Ph (306) 751-1795
                          > email jeggen@s...
                          > ************DISCLAIMER*************
                          are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the
                          sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
                          mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
                          intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or
                          distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                          > ************DISCLAIMER*************
                        • Jeff Eggen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                            >>> robkmaeda@... 12/10/2004 9:21:48 am >>>
                            >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                            >Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                            Although,
                            >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                            >quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                            >when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
                            >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                            IDE.

                            Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?

                            Jeff Eggen
                            IT Programmer Analyst
                            Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                            Ph (306) 751-1795
                            email jeggen@...
                            ************DISCLAIMER*************
                            This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                            ************DISCLAIMER*************
                          • Peter Dominey
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                              The default shell for MAC OS X Terminal is tcsh. It really not so far from
                              bash and korn. As for the #! not working that is un true - it works just
                              as any other shell. The most common cause of people thinking it not
                              working is, not having the the current (.) dir defined in their path.

                              tks

                              On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Jeff Eggen wrote:

                              > >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier.  I am using Mac OS X's
                              > >Terminal Application.  It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                              > Although,
                              > >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                              > >quirks.  Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                              > >when running programs through terminal.  I haven't been able to find
                              > >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                              > IDE.
                              >
                              > Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?
                              >
                              > Jeff Eggen
                              > IT Programmer Analyst
                              > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                              > Ph (306) 751-1795
                              > email jeggen@...
                              > ************DISCLAIMER*************
                              > This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
                              > the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
                              > named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
                              > this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
                              > intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the
                              > contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              > click here

                              | P J Dominey |
                              | Independent UNIX Contractor |
                              | |
                              | E-Mail: pdominey@... |
                              | Web Site: www.dominey.biz |
                              | Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey |
                            • greg.hering@bench.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                                That doesn't seem like that's his problem. He said he entered:

                                ./helloworld.pl

                                at the command prompt.

                                He said that 'perl -v' works, which means that '/usr/bin' is in his
                                path, and the shebang line is a fully qualified path.

                                So (not being a Mac person) does he still need to have '.' in his path?

                                Greg

                                The default shell for MAC OS X Terminal is tcsh. It really not so far
                                from
                                bash and korn. As for the #! not working that is un true - it works just

                                as any other shell. The most common cause of people thinking it not
                                working is, not having the the current (.) dir defined in their path.

                                tks

                                > >Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                                > >Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell.
                                > Although,
                                > >the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                                > >quirks. Others using python have said the shebang lines don't work
                                > >when running programs through terminal. I haven't been able to find
                                > >an explanation for this or a solution, except to run everything in an
                                > IDE.
                                >
                                > Is there a more standard shell available for OS X, like bash or ksh?
                                >
                                > Jeff Eggen
                                > IT Programmer Analyst
                                > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                                > Ph (306) 751-1795
                                > email jeggen@...

                              • J.E. Cripps
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 12, 2004
                                  > Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. I am using Mac OS X's
                                  > Terminal Application. It is supposed to open a Unix Shell. Although,
                                  > the more I read about Terminal, the more I find that it has some
                                  > quirks.

                                  apparently so! thanks for the update