How do you export displayed data to Excel or Word?

  • bellendir2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2004
      Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
      web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
      web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
      like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
      page. Thanks.
    • cbullard
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2004
        bellendir2000 wrote:

        >Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
        >web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
        >web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
        >like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
        >page. Thanks.
        >

        >Look at the Win32::OLE module to get the data into Excel.
        >

        >C.Bullard

      • Murugavel Ramachandran
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2004
          Hi Bullard,

          Pl go through these modules to perform ur requirements.
          WWW::Mechanize;
          HTML::Tokeparser;
          Win32::OLE or Excell::Spreadsheet

          >Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
          >web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
          >web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
          >like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
          >page. Thanks.
          >

          >Look at the Win32::OLE module to get the data into Excel.
          >

          >C.Bullard

          Unsubscribing info is here:
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • bellendir2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
            Thank you C. Bullard and Murugavel, but I am very beginner in Perl.
            Would you mind elaborating on your answers? I've tried to look them
            up see what you mean but I am lost. Are there any examples on the web
            as to how to do this? An example of the page that contains
            information (html table data) I am trying to export to Word or Excel
            is http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Maribel/Test5

            Thank you again for responding to my post!

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bellendir2000"
            <bellendir2000@y...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
            > web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
            > web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
            > like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
            > page. Thanks.
          • El Rex
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
              Maybe this is minimizing your problem a lot since I tried this solution
              once and it did work, but I hardly remember if it kept the formatting
              you have on your page.

              Build another option from your script to be launched from a separate
              link or button that creates the same page you have, except that instead
              of having the "Content-type" header as "plain/text" or "plain/html",
              try using the MIME-type for Excel which is "application/vnd.ms-excel"
              or simply "application/excel", whichever works. I have not tried it in
              Word, but its MIME-type is "application/msword".

              As I say, maybe this is not what you have in mind, but it may give some
              output.

              Regarding your concern about the other two posts, they were referring
              to Perl modules. You can get those from the CPAN (www.cpan.org, or
              search.cpan.org).

              Some of the modules suggested (e.g. Win32::OLE) are IMHO, overkill for
              what you are looking for. Some of these modules allow you to connect
              directly to existing XL files, read from them and write to specific
              cells. I suggest your try a milder approach.

              Have a look at Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
              (http://search.cpan.org/~jmcnamara/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-2.11/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm).
              This might be what you are looking for, since it includes all settings
              and formats for cells and sheets.

              Best of luck.
              Rex

              --- bellendir2000 <bellendir2000@...> wrote:

              > Thank you C. Bullard and Murugavel, but I am very beginner in Perl.
              > Would you mind elaborating on your answers? I've tried to look them
              > up see what you mean but I am lost. Are there any examples on the web
              >
              > as to how to do this? An example of the page that contains
              > information (html table data) I am trying to export to Word or Excel
              > is http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Maribel/Test5
              >
              > Thank you again for responding to my post!
              >

              > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bellendir2000"
              > <bellendir2000@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone know how to export displayed data in an HTML table on a
              >
              > > web page to Excel or Word? The data in the html table comes from a
              > > web database (baseportal.com). Can this be done with perl? I would
              > > like this action to take place at the click of a button on the web
              > > page. Thanks.

            • bellendir2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
                Thank you so much, El. I will take a look at these options.