RE: [PBML] Enter info after seeing certain prompt

  • karthick.sundararajan@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2004
      I think expect can help you better...
      try man expect

      Cheers,
      Karthick S.
      Wipro Technologies - Chennai
      Mobile Number: 9884025911
      Home Page: www.geocities.com/sksatyam
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jonathan Chen [mailto:mrchen5@...]
      Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 07:54
      To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PBML] Enter info after seeing certain prompt

      Hello all,

      I am wondering how I would go about writing a perl program where it
      would automatically enter a data when specific prompts shows up. I'm
      trying to do write a perl program where it would ssh from one linux
      system to another and when prompted for password, perl would enter
      that one in. I sure do not want the password saved in the program
      itself but would be saved first once the program starts.

      Once saved, the program will later enter those passwords in when
      seeing the line for entering the password.

      Thanks for any help you can give. I tried to think of a way in BASH
      and I can not think of a solution either since I'm a beginner in both
      languages.

      Unsubscribing info is here:

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ui22fq/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
      D=groups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1096597423/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
      p://companion.yahoo.com> click here

      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=406941178>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        10:58am, karthick.sundararajan@... wrote:

        > I think expect can help you better...
        > try man expect

        Expect is a good general solution, but if all you're trying to do is login
        to a box using ssh, then look at ssh-agent and ssh-add. And you could use
        those with 'expect' if you want to do more.

        Paul

        Theists think all gods but theirs are false.
        Atheists simply don't make an exception for the last one.
      • Jonathan Chen
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
          Thanks for expect solution. But how would it be done in perl though?

          Here is what my program will do...

          1) ssh to the server and log in
          2) Execute the command and it would go back to the starting server...

          Basically its performing the command below without ssh-agent or ssh-
          add...

          "/usr/bin/ssh root@phoenix /usr/local/logs/dcheck.sh"

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
          > 10:58am, karthick.sundararajan@w... wrote:
          >
          > > I think expect can help you better...
          > > try man expect
          > >
          > Expect is a good general solution, but if all you're trying to do is
          login
          > to a box using ssh, then look at ssh-agent and ssh-add. And you
          could use
          > those with 'expect' if you want to do more.
          >
          > Paul

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
            Well, outside of the Perl module for expect, have you tried searching CPAN
            for 'ssh'?

            Tomorrow, Jonathan Chen wrote:

            > Thanks for expect solution. But how would it be done in perl though?
            >
            > Here is what my program will do...
            >
            > 1) ssh to the server and log in
            > 2) Execute the command and it would go back to the starting server...
            >
            > Basically its performing the command below without ssh-agent or ssh-
            > add...
            >
            > "/usr/bin/ssh root@phoenix /usr/local/logs/dcheck.sh"
            >

            > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
            > > 10:58am, karthick.sundararajan@w... wrote:
            > >
            > > > I think expect can help you better...
            > > > try man expect
            > > >
            > > Expect is a good general solution, but if all you're trying to do is
            > login
            > > to a box using ssh, then look at ssh-agent and ssh-add. And you
            > could use
            > > those with 'expect' if you want to do more.
            > >
            > > Paul

            If you live in a small town /You might meet a dozen or two/
            Young alien types /Who step out /And dare to declare/
            "We're through being cool." -- Devo, "Through Being Cool"
          • Jonathan Chen
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
              Yes. There is a module for it. I was hoping that with someone's help
              of writing a module similar to the one on cpan would help me do
              similar things when writing other programs. I am kinda aware of what
              "Expect" is and want perl to emulate it. I tried to look for "Expect"
              in RH 7 and RH9 and there is no such program.

              Anyways, I was hoping for a Perl solution.

              -Jonathan

            • daymobrew@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Chen" <mrchen5@y...>
                wrote:
                > Thanks for expect solution. But how would it be done in perl though?
                >
                > Here is what my program will do...
                >
                > 1) ssh to the server and log in
                > 2) Execute the command and it would go back to the starting server...
                >
                > Basically its performing the command below without ssh-agent or ssh-
                > add...
                >
                > "/usr/bin/ssh root@phoenix /usr/local/logs/dcheck.sh"

                [Apologies for mid-posting - I'm addressing the line above]

                Is this suitable for a cron-job?
                The public keys suggestion would make this really easy - you could do
                it all in the shell script then.

                > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                > > 10:58am, karthick.sundararajan@w... wrote:
                > >
                > > > I think expect can help you better...
                > > > try man expect
                > > >
                > > Expect is a good general solution, but if all you're trying to do is
                > login
                > > to a box using ssh, then look at ssh-agent and ssh-add. And you
                > could use
                > > those with 'expect' if you want to do more.
                > >
                > > Paul

              • Jonathan Chen
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                  --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, daymobrew@y... wrote:
                  > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Chen" <mrchen5@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Thanks for expect solution. But how would it be done in perl
                  though?

                  > > Here is what my program will do...
                  > >
                  > > 1) ssh to the server and log in
                  > > 2) Execute the command and it would go back to the starting
                  server...

                  > > Basically its performing the command below without ssh-agent or
                  ssh-
                  > > add...
                  > >
                  > > "/usr/bin/ssh root@phoenix /usr/local/logs/dcheck.sh"
                  > >

                  > [Apologies for mid-posting - I'm addressing the line above]
                  >
                  > Is this suitable for a cron-job?
                  > The public keys suggestion would make this really easy - you could
                  do
                  > it all in the shell script then.

                  You know, I actually have trouble getting RH7 through 9 to work with
                  passwordless login. Well not actually passwordless but still I tried
                  to find solutions via web and they are seems confusing to me.

                  Got a good website to help me with password solution? I am thinking
                  of a temporarily solution till someone figures out how do the "Expect"
                  like scripting with PERL. Perl is what I want to master. =)
                • Ken Wolcott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                    On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 21:43, Jonathan Chen wrote:
                    > Yes. There is a module for it. I was hoping that with someone's help
                    > of writing a module similar to the one on cpan would help me do
                    > similar things when writing other programs. I am kinda aware of what
                    > "Expect" is and want perl to emulate it. I tried to look for "Expect"
                    > in RH 7 and RH9 and there is no such program.

                    cat /etc/redhat-release
                    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
                    /msa3530> which expect
                    expect is /usr/bin/expect

                    Guess you didn't install all of Red Hat.

                    Ken
                  • Jeff Eggen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                      >Got a good website to help me with password solution? I am thinking
                      >of a temporarily solution till someone figures out how do the "Expect"
                      > like scripting with PERL. Perl is what I want to master. =)

                      Are you using openssh?

                      1. Generate private / public keypair on source host with ssh-keygen command.
                      2. Copy public key to target server, put in a file called authorized_keys in the $HOME/.ssh/ directory.
                      3. On source server, run "ssh targetserver date" to test it, where targetserver is the target server.

                      This should get you set up to not require a password: if it doesn't work, then your ssh server config needs tweaking. This would be odd, as most of the time the default config will allow for this behavior. Note that for this setup, you still need whatever passphrase is on the private key. If you create the key without a passphrase, then you can get in without any interaction at all.

                      As for the Perl / Expect thing, you could always download the Expect module from the CPAN and look at how it does whatever it does. However, if you want to master Perl, then one of the first steps is realizing that if someone has made a module to do something difficult, use theirs. Reinventing the wheel is typically more trouble than it's worth. For learning purposes, I got more value out of the O'Reilly books (especially Randal's books, and the Cookbooks) and writing small programs using them as references than anything else.

                      Hope this helps somewhat,

                      Jeff Eggen
                      IT Programmer Analyst
                      Saskatchewan Government Insurance
                      Ph (306) 751-1795
                      email jeggen@...

                      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.