Re: [PBML] Word Frequency count

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
      6:46am, hyper bola wrote:

      > --- Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Rule 1: If you don't know what you're doing, don't
      > > reply to a query and
      > > confuse someone.
      > >
      > > Rule 2: If you do know what you're doing, check your
      > > code before you post a
      > > reply and confuse someone.
      > >
      > > Rule 3: If you're posting at 3:36 am, Rule 2 should
      > > definitely be invoked!
      >
      > hi!
      >
      > Let me first apologize on the onset, if I have broken
      > some rules!
      > I am new to perl and more so to the group.
      >
      > I thought that this is a beginner's group and what
      > better way to learn something than make mistakes.
      > Again apologies, if my mistake affected someone else.

      It is a beginners' group, and making mistakes is OK.
      But it's important to make sure to remember that if you are replying to a
      query, you are giving advice. And it can be hard to know who really knows
      what (s)he is talking about (hint: the names Randal, Japhy, Jenda, among
      others, are a strong clue you're getting good advice).
      So that means that if you give advice (answer a query) it should be good
      advice, because the person who made the original query might not be able to
      tell the difference.

      > And now that I look back at what I had written, I know
      > the mistakes I made. (That translates to how much I
      > learnt). Is this group not meant for this very
      > procedure?

      Good. You made mistakes, you learned from them. Yesh, that's just what we
      want.

      > And about the checking of code, I did check it,
      > (though on some other random data) and seemed to work
      > as I expected.

      I'm a bit surprised, there.
      Best practice is to make sure you thoroughly understand the question, *and*
      (since a lot of the questions here are of the "how do I do 'this' with my
      data) make sure you know what kind of data is being parsed--then check your
      code. I don't post anything without making sure it 1) runs, and 2) does what
      the poster wants/needs.

      Paul Archer