Re: [PBML] fitting files into a filesystem

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
      9:14am, Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:

      > On Sep 4, Paul Archer said:
      >
      > >I have a bunch of files in the 23-30GB range that I need to fit as
      > >efficiently as possible onto 250GB hard drives. I have enough files
      > >(several terabytes worth) that I should be able to come within a gigabyte or
      > >so of filling each drive--but I'm having trouble conceptualizing how to
      > >figure out what the best fit would be.
      >
      > This is an NP-complete problem known as "the knapsack problem", or "bin
      > packing". It's no easy task.

      Well, I feel better that I couldn't come up with anything, at least!
      But it is an easy task (in a Perl sort of way): someone has written
      Algorithm::Bucketizer to handle it. Thanks for the name, which led me to the
      module. CPAN (and this mailing list) come through again!

      Paul Archer

      Q: What do Winnie-the-Pooh and John the Baptist have in common?
      A: Their middle name.