way off-topic: linux gigabit networking

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      I really hate to ask such a totally off-topic question, but I'm Googled to
      death, and I can't find the answer I'm looking for. So I thought a direct
      query of a group of sharp folks like on this list might help.

      The question/problem is: I just bought some gigabit ethernet cards for my
      two Linux and one Win boxen, and I can't get more than about 6.5MB/sec
      transfer rate. That's Win-Linux or Linux-Linux.
      Both Linux boxes are running SuSE 9.1, and I've actually tried two different
      cards, one set with a Broadcom chipset, the other with Realtek. The machines
      report 1000mbs/full duplex.
      I've also tried using a crossover cable to talk directly between two
      machines, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

      Anyone have any suggestions, maybe a URL or two to point me to?

      Thanks,

      Paul

      "I'll say this about Linux: it's the first time I've seen Unix
      on the right platform."--Steve Ballmer, president of Microsoft
      (NB: Microsoft used to own SCO, which did, and still does,
      produce a Unix for the Intel platform.)
    • Mike Dillinger
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
        PA> I really hate to ask such a totally off-topic question, but I'm Googled to
        PA> death, and I can't find the answer I'm looking for. So I thought a direct
        PA> query of a group of sharp folks like on this list might help.

        PA> The question/problem is: I just bought some gigabit ethernet cards for my
        PA> two Linux and one Win boxen, and I can't get more than about 6.5MB/sec
        PA> transfer rate. That's Win-Linux or Linux-Linux.
        PA> Both Linux boxes are running SuSE 9.1, and I've actually tried two different
        PA> cards, one set with a Broadcom chipset, the other with Realtek. The machines
        PA> report 1000mbs/full duplex.
        PA> I've also tried using a crossover cable to talk directly between two
        PA> machines, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

        PA> Anyone have any suggestions, maybe a URL or two to point me to?

        There is a Linux Yahoo group you could join and ask. They're pretty
        knowledgeable folks.

        -MikeD