Using a PC perl script to copy files on a Mac server

  • Mike Southern
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2004
      OK I give in. I seem to have exhausted some references trying to find
      answer!

      I have a series of OS/X servers. They contain EPS files.

      I need to distribute those EPS files from a master folder into a structured
      folder system using a process governed by a PC.

      The mac server is mapped to by the PC.

      Making the folder structures is easy.

      There are no user permissions to consider; everything is set to free and
      easy access in this closed environment.

      The problem is that when I copy I lose some Mac resource data. Therefore
      software that should recognise the copied EPS file no longer does so.

      I have tried various hacks at opening binary files to read and write. Also
      File::Copy::syscopy. And combinations of both.

      I also tried physically renaming the source file with a ".eps" extension (by
      default the creator application doesn't apply the extension). After copying,
      I removed the extension.

      This helped, but (if you understand EPS files) the final resulting file had
      no tiff preview - although it WAS readable by apps like Distiller.

      If I have outlined the problem clearly, does anyone have a clue for me as to
      the solution?

      Thanks

      Mike Southern
      North Eastern Composing Centers