question about @ and Files

  • Luinrandir Hernsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
      the info to the file is written like this
      axe,sox,dog,fox,
      can I read this from the file as an array?
      @A=<FileName>;
      I am also looking for info on homemade databases.

      I can't use SQL or other ready made database.

      Lou

    • Luca Ferrari
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
        On Thursday 05 August 2004 15:49 Luinrandir Hernsen's cat walking on the
        keyboard wrote:

        > the info to the file is written like this
        > axe,sox,dog,fox,
        > can I read this from the file as an array?
        > @A=<FileName>;
        > I am also looking for info on homemade databases.
        >
        > I can't use SQL or other ready made database.

        You can surely convert into an array:
        $line = <FILENAME>;
        @A = split(",",$line);

        Luca

        --
        Luca Ferrari,
        fluca1978@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
          Thank you thank you thank you...
          it's so nice to get an answer, with an example!
          thank you for your polite and wonderfull response.
          Lou
          keyboard wrote:

          > the info to the file is written like this
          > axe,sox,dog,fox,
          > can I read this from the file as an array?
          > @A=<FileName>;
          > I am also looking for info on homemade databases.
          >
          > I can't use SQL or other ready made database.

          You can surely convert into an array:
          $line = <FILENAME>;
          @A = split(",",$line);

          Luca

          --
          Luca Ferrari,
          fluca1978@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jenda Krynicky
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
            From: "Luinrandir Hernsen" <Luinrandir@...>
            > the info to the file is written like this
            > axe,sox,dog,fox,
            > can I read this from the file as an array?
            > @A=<FileName>;
            > I am also looking for info on homemade databases.
            >
            > I can't use SQL or other ready made database.

            Why not? You may use for example DBD::SQLite. There the whole SQL
            database is built into the module. So you do not need to install any
            SQL server or anything, just install DBI and DBD::SQLite and you are
            set.

            Jenda
            -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery