Re: [PBML] Re: $_[0].....

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
      >>>>> "Allan" == Allan Dystrup <allan_dystrup@...> writes:

      Allan> Take a look at:
      Allan> http://[[illegal copy of Perl CD-ROM]]

      Please do not advertise pirated copies of the O'Reilly CD-ROMs here.
      That offends me greatly. You take dollars directly from my pocket
      when you do that.

      Please send such URLs to infringement@... for enforcement action.

    • anguilla1969@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
        You can also using "shift" when assigning variables passed to a subroutine. for example:

        sub myRoutine () {
        $arg1 = $_[0];
        $arg2 = $_[1];
        $arg3 = $_[2];
        }

        is the same as ...

        sub myRoutine () {
        $arg1 = shift;
        $arg2 = shift;
        $arg3 = shift;

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004

          anguilla1969> You can also using "shift" when assigning variables passed to a subroutine. for example:
          anguilla1969> sub myRoutine () {
          anguilla1969> $arg1 = $_[0];
          anguilla1969> $arg2 = $_[1];
          anguilla1969> $arg3 = $_[2];
          anguilla1969> }

          anguilla1969> is the same as ...

          anguilla1969> sub myRoutine () {
          anguilla1969> $arg1 = shift;
          anguilla1969> $arg2 = shift;
          anguilla1969> $arg3 = shift;
          anguilla1969> }

          Not exactly. Try using @_ to mean "the remaining arguments" in
          the first way vs the second way. Only the second way works. That's
          why I generally do that now. It's cleaner, and lets me get at the
          "rest" of the args at the end.

        • Allan Dystrup
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2004
            Oops!

            I wasn't aware this was an ILLEGAL copy - i thought it was
            a way to hook people on buying the 'hard copy' version...

            sorry /
            allan

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, merlyn@s... wrote:

            > Allan> Take a look at:
            > Allan> http://[[illegal copy of Perl CD-ROM]]
            >
            > Please do not advertise pirated copies of the O'Reilly CD-ROMs here.
            > That offends me greatly. You take dollars directly from my pocket
            > when you do that.
            >
            > Please send such URLs to infringement@o... for enforcement action.

            777 0095
            > <merlyn@s...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>