Re: [PBML] Convert File from Unix to DOS

  • Mark Mecca
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
      I thought we were using the ASCII option to get the file but that it
      didn't help the situation. I will have to check. What is the 'text'
      option?

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
      > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
      or 'text'
      > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
      want.

      > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
      >
      > > Greetings.
      > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
      Unix
      > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main
      problem
      > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records
      and
      > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in
      perl.

      > > Any advice?
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > Unsubscribing info is here:
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Q: What is the definition of a tachyon?
      > A: It's a gluon that's not completely dry.
    • Brad Lhotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
        On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 05:55:26PM -0000, AlmaJoe wrote:
        > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
        > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
        > or 'text'
        > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
        > want.
        > >
        > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
        > >
        > > > Greetings.
        > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a Unix
        > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
        > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
        > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
        > > >
        > > > Any advice?
        > > >
        > > > Mark
        > ---------------------------
        >

        > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
        > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
        > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
        > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
        > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
        > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
        > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
        > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

        How is that simpler than:

        $data =~ s/\n/\r\n/g;

        ?

        --
        Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
      • AlmaJoe
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004

          ---------------------------

          The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
          to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
          from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
          conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
          select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
          download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
          causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
          ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.
        • Bob Showalter
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
            Mark Mecca wrote:
            > Greetings.
            > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a Unix
            > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
            > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
            > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.

            perl -pli.bak -e 1 myfile.txt
          • AlmaJoe
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "AlmaJoe" <azraelle@e...> wrote:
              > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
              > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
              > or 'text'
              > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
              > want.
              > >
              > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
              > >
              > > > Greetings.
              > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
              Unix
              > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
              > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
              > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
              > > >
              > > > Any advice?
              > > >
              > > > Mark
              > ---------------------------
              >

              > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
              > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
              > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
              > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
              > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
              > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
              > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
              > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

              I forgot to mention that it is a programmer's text editor in that it
              automatically recognizes code keywords from Perl, C/C++, PHP, ASP,
              Java, html/css, LaTeX, Pascal, Fortran, MathLab, and JSP. You can
              also customize it and add additional languages or kewords to recognize
              as well. EditPad Pro does the same thing, but it costs $30; however
              for an additional $20, you can get a very handy RegEx editor/debugger
              as well (called "Regex Buddy". Both are available here:
              http://www.editpadpro.com/
            • OkIDaN Azeri
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                if this is an ascii file you can do it this way

                open (output, ">out.txt");
                while (<>)
                {
                s/\012\015//;
                print output $_;
                }
                close(output);

                AlmaJoe <azraelle@...> wrote: --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "AlmaJoe" <azraelle@e...> wrote:
                > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
                > or 'text'
                > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
                > want.
                > >
                > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
                > >
                > > > Greetings.
                > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
                Unix
                > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
                > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
                > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
                > > >
                > > > Any advice?
                > > >
                > > > Mark
                > ---------------------------
                >

                > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
                > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
                > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
                > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
                > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
                > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
                > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
                > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

                I forgot to mention that it is a programmer's text editor in that it
                automatically recognizes code keywords from Perl, C/C++, PHP, ASP,
                Java, html/css, LaTeX, Pascal, Fortran, MathLab, and JSP. You can
                also customize it and add additional languages or kewords to recognize
                as well. EditPad Pro does the same thing, but it costs $30; however
                for an additional $20, you can get a very handy RegEx editor/debugger
                as well (called "Regex Buddy". Both are available here:
                http://www.editpadpro.com/

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Mark Mecca
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2004
                  Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't working until I opened the actual
                  file in a hex editor and found (to my surprise) that the records were
                  not delimited by a LF character like I was told. It actually was a
                  code of 1C which is why I was having all kinds of problems. I
                  changed your command from:

                  s/\012\015//;

                  s/\x1C/\n/g;

                  and this did the trick. Thanks.