Re: [PBML] Convert File from Unix to DOS

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
      Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII or 'text'
      mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you want.

      12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:

      > Greetings.
      > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a Unix
      > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
      > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
      > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
      >
      > Any advice?
      >
      > Mark

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Q: What is the definition of a tachyon?
      A: It's a gluon that's not completely dry.
    • Mark Mecca
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
        I thought we were using the ASCII option to get the file but that it
        didn't help the situation. I will have to check. What is the 'text'
        option?

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
        > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
        or 'text'
        > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
        want.

        > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings.
        > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
        Unix
        > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main
        problem
        > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records
        and
        > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in
        perl.

        > > Any advice?
        > >
        > > Mark
        > >

        > > Unsubscribing info is here:
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Q: What is the definition of a tachyon?
        > A: It's a gluon that's not completely dry.
      • Brad Lhotsky
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
          On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 05:55:26PM -0000, AlmaJoe wrote:
          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
          > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
          > or 'text'
          > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
          > want.
          > >
          > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
          > >
          > > > Greetings.
          > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a Unix
          > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
          > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
          > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
          > > >
          > > > Any advice?
          > > >
          > > > Mark
          > ---------------------------
          >

          > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
          > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
          > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
          > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
          > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
          > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
          > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
          > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

          How is that simpler than:

          $data =~ s/\n/\r\n/g;

          ?

          --
          Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
        • AlmaJoe
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004

            ---------------------------

            The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
            to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
            from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
            conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
            select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
            download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
            causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
            ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.
          • Bob Showalter
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
              Mark Mecca wrote:
              > Greetings.
              > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a Unix
              > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
              > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
              > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.

              perl -pli.bak -e 1 myfile.txt
            • AlmaJoe
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "AlmaJoe" <azraelle@e...> wrote:
                > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
                > or 'text'
                > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
                > want.
                > >
                > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
                > >
                > > > Greetings.
                > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
                Unix
                > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
                > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
                > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
                > > >
                > > > Any advice?
                > > >
                > > > Mark
                > ---------------------------
                >

                > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
                > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
                > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
                > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
                > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
                > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
                > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
                > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

                I forgot to mention that it is a programmer's text editor in that it
                automatically recognizes code keywords from Perl, C/C++, PHP, ASP,
                Java, html/css, LaTeX, Pascal, Fortran, MathLab, and JSP. You can
                also customize it and add additional languages or kewords to recognize
                as well. EditPad Pro does the same thing, but it costs $30; however
                for an additional $20, you can get a very handy RegEx editor/debugger
                as well (called "Regex Buddy". Both are available here:
                http://www.editpadpro.com/
              • OkIDaN Azeri
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                  if this is an ascii file you can do it this way

                  open (output, ">out.txt");
                  while (<>)
                  {
                  s/\012\015//;
                  print output $_;
                  }
                  close(output);

                  AlmaJoe <azraelle@...> wrote: --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "AlmaJoe" <azraelle@e...> wrote:
                  > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                  > > Well, the simplest thing is to transfer the file using FTP's ASCII
                  > or 'text'
                  > > mode, which was designed around 30 years ago to do exactly what you
                  > want.
                  > >
                  > > 12:00pm, Mark Mecca wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Greetings.
                  > > > I'm trying to figure out how to convert a file that I FTP from a
                  Unix
                  > > > system so that I can read it on a Windows machine. The main problem
                  > > > is that I think Unix only uses a LF character at end of records and
                  > > > Windows needs a CRLF but I can't figure out how to do this in perl.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any advice?
                  > > >
                  > > > Mark
                  > ---------------------------
                  >

                  > The next simplest thing, especially if you already have the file, is
                  > to download the suffix sensitive, syntax highlighting free text editor
                  > from www.crimsoneditor.com and use it's built-in *nix to dos to Mac
                  > conversion: click on "Document" tab, click on "File Format", and
                  > select whichever platform suits your fancy. It is a 1.1 MB
                  > download--couldn't be simpler. There is a glitch in the program which
                  > causes an error popup box to appear the first time you run it--just
                  > ignore it per the instructions inside the box--and no more problems.

                  I forgot to mention that it is a programmer's text editor in that it
                  automatically recognizes code keywords from Perl, C/C++, PHP, ASP,
                  Java, html/css, LaTeX, Pascal, Fortran, MathLab, and JSP. You can
                  also customize it and add additional languages or kewords to recognize
                  as well. EditPad Pro does the same thing, but it costs $30; however
                  for an additional $20, you can get a very handy RegEx editor/debugger
                  as well (called "Regex Buddy". Both are available here:
                  http://www.editpadpro.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Mark Mecca
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2004
                    Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't working until I opened the actual
                    file in a hex editor and found (to my surprise) that the records were
                    not delimited by a LF character like I was told. It actually was a
                    code of 1C which is why I was having all kinds of problems. I
                    changed your command from:

                    s/\012\015//;

                    s/\x1C/\n/g;

                    and this did the trick. Thanks.