Re: [PBML] How to convert to ascii

  • daymobrew@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
      > 10:11am, Gilles Beauregard wrote:
      >
      > > Allo!
      > >
      > > How to convert the following string to regular ascii:
      > >
      > > mailto:we
      > >
      > Look at chr (and it's opposite, ord). But that looks like HTML
      encoding (to
      > my non-web master/developer eye). So my guess is there's a
      subrouting in the
      > CGI module that'll do what you want.

      There is an escapeHTML() function in CGI.pm but I didn't find a
      reversal function.
      As Paul suggests, chr() will convert 109 to 'm'
      So, maybe you could split the string on semi-colons, strip off the
      '&#' and then run through chr().
    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
        From: daymobrew@...
        > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
        > > 10:11am, Gilles Beauregard wrote: > > > Allo! > > > > How to convert
        > the following string to regular ascii: > > > >
        > mailto:we > > > Look at chr
        > (and it's opposite, ord). But that looks like HTML encoding (to > my
        > non-web master/developer eye). So my guess is there's a subrouting in
        > the > CGI module that'll do what you want. >
        >
        > There is an escapeHTML() function in CGI.pm but I didn't find a
        > reversal function.
        > As Paul suggests, chr() will convert 109 to 'm'
        > So, maybe you could split the string on semi-colons, strip off the
        > '&#' and then run through chr().

        And what will you do if there are some unescaped chars?

        Use regexp replacement instead:

        $string =~ s/&\#(\d+);/chr($1)/ge;

        or even better, use a module:

        use HTML::Entities;
        $string = decode_entities($string);

        that way you can be sure even á and ø type entities are
        handled correctly.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      • Dustin Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
          Is there an equivilent command in perl as the php include function
          (basically includes another script as if it were a part of the script
          "including" it)

          Thanks,
          Dustin
        • Gilles Beauregard
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
            Allo!

            >Use regexp replacement instead:
            >
            > $string =~ s/&\#(\d+);/chr($1)/ge;
            >
            >or even better, use a module:
            >
            > use HTML::Entities;
            > $string = decode_entities($string);

            Work great!

            Thank!

            Gilles B.

            --
            Encore plus de trucs et d'astuces pour Webmasters
            http://www.biwi.qc.ca/favori/