RE: [PBML] Give it to me!

  • Jeff Eggen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2004
      >>> fortunoa@... 28/05/2004 8:19:29 am >>>
      >You (and Srikanth) have a good point. I'll keep this in mind going forward.
      >Are alternate exit status' commonly used, or do most people just use
      >`die()`?

      Not that I'm any expert, but I like to use it on scripts that have multiple possible results of running, like grep does, and I plan on testing the output accordingly.

      For example: grep returns 0 if a match is found, 1 if no match is found, and anything else is an error. I use similar logic in scripts that, say, verify a date string against some criteria: 0 means it checked out, 1 means it didn't, and anything else means an error occured like the date string format was bad.

      Hope this helps,

      Jeff Eggen
      IT Programmer Analyst
      Saskatchewan Government Insurance
      Ph (306) 751-1795
      email jeggen@...

      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.