Re: [PBML] perl and browser

  • Greg Webster
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 1998
      At 05:15 PM 8/10/98 -0000, you wrote:
      >Please,
      >> How can I do to run a Perl CGI script from my browser (by example,
      >> Netscape) in Windows 95. I have Perl for Win32 v5.0003_7 on my PC.
      >>
      >> Thank you in advanced.
      >>

      >Do you have server software on your local computer?
      >If not the following will apply.
      >If I am tryng to test my perl programs on my local computer, I have to go
      thru my local server (not the remote). I think I remember getting a free
      copy of Microsoft's "Personal Server" that came on the CD included in back
      of one of my perl books. I use Website Pro but I think Microsoft puts one
      out free. What happens is the URL that you type in will look similar to
      http://localhost/directory_name/file.htm
      >Where file.htm is the HTML page that the form is on. If you have your
      server software going, the browser will "talk" to the server software and
      "do the script". If you have an error in your script, your browser will
      come back with possible reasons why it errored.

      If you are just testing scripts, it might be best to stay away from
      Microsoft's personal webserver. It's pretty clunky and a little overpowered
      for that use.

      Instead, try Omnihttpd, available at pretty much any large shareware site
      (www.shareware.com works) or at http://www.omnicron.ab.ca/httpd/

      Super-easy to install, very configurable, but not overpowering and not a
      memory hog.

      Greg

      Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn't blow
      in the wind or change with the weather. It is your
      inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and
      see a man who won't cheat, then you know he never will.

      -John D. MacDonald
      _The Turquoise Lament_ gwebster@...

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/perl-beginner/