RE: [PBML] Re: Doing a chmod on a nfs file using a cgi script

  • greg.hering@bench.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 12:22 PM
      Dear Nik,

      The whole purpose of this is to parse the stderr when root does it, i.e. directory or file is actually missing and I need to go in as root and make a directory or something.
      I think I can use I/O redirection to get stderr, but I'm stopped for now at 'permission denied' just doing the chmod.

      I tried to make the script, owned by root, run as root by changing the permissions to 4755 but it didn't seem to make any difference. I was watching 'top' in one window and then hit the script with the browser and 'nobody' was still running my validate.cgi script after the change.

      There is a better definition of the problem under the subject line:
      SUID or Daemon? or?
      posted Friday, but I didn't post any code so I guess everyone though I was wishful thinking and didn't reply.
      I think I should probably try to do the 'daemon' idea but that's a whole other project and I was doing a bit of wishful thinking myself (wishing there was another way without the daemon!).

      Thanks,

      Greg