Re: [PBML] Microsoft Access

  • Dustin Smith AKA GIDustin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2004
      First, you can "use DBI" and connect to your access DB if you have it
      registered on the server. That is what I am doing right now.

      Second, why is it not good, bad, very bad, extremely bad? Actually, What are
      the advantages of MySQL over Microsoft Access? My webhost doesnt charge for
      Access DBs, but charges $20 a year for a MySQL account, so I really want to
      know.

      --
      My Home Page: http://www.gidustin.net
      Alternate: http://www.civ3files.com

      The Russians just used a pencil.
      --
      The 10 Commandments consist of 279 words.
      The Declaration of Independence is 300 words long.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2004
        From: Dustin Smith AKA GIDustin <dustin@...>
        > First, you can "use DBI" and connect to your access DB if you have it
        > registered on the server. That is what I am doing right now.
        >
        > Second, why is it not good, bad, very bad, extremely bad? Actually,
        > What are the advantages of MySQL over Microsoft Access? My webhost
        > doesnt charge for Access DBs, but charges $20 a year for a MySQL
        > account, so I really want to know.

        Access was originaly designed as a "one user" database and has been
        known to break under heavy load (too many people accessing the data
        at the same time). I don't know what is the current situation though.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery