My PERL Project

  • Adam Ophir Shapira
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      I came here asking if there was a way to write a C program
      that embeds in itself a PERL interpreter that makes calls
      back to the original C program.

      After reading the man pages and perldoc pages I was
      referred to, I found out that though PERL *does* have
      a mechanism by which to embed PERL into your C program
      and have that PERL script call actual C functions,
      those C functions that are called from PERL have to
      belong to modules that are *separate* from the original
      C program. There is supposedly no system built in for
      allowing PERL to make calls back to the C program that
      is embedded in (which I think is kinda unfortunate, as
      that can ruin one of the neat things about *embedding*
      an interpreter).

      The good news is this: I see a way by which I can
      *implement* a mechanism for PERL to do this. However,
      in order to assure that what I develop is compatible
      with future versions of PERL, I will need to colaborate
      with other people in the PERL community. Is this the
      place to do that? And if not, what *is* the place to
      do that?

      Thanks,
      Adam