can't get perl to work

  • searcydigest
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      I get a 404 error or 500 error. i used the #! /user/bin/perl
      something like that. do you use that or you use you site domain
      name. I can't understand. My web host has a cgi-bin folder but i am
      beginning to think it does not support perl. can someone explain cgi-
      bin and perl differences to me please. and is cgi-bin different
      than perl? one more thing is it because i am using windows xp home
      edition instead of pro? I have linux on a computer too but i can't
      figure out how to hook it up through the network. Sorry for all the
      question. just want to figure out what is going on and what is best
      used for perl. thnaks.
    • franki
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        searcydigest wrote:
        > I get a 404 error or 500 error. i used the #! /user/bin/perl
        > something like that. do you use that or you use you site domain
        > name. I can't understand. My web host has a cgi-bin folder but i am
        > beginning to think it does not support perl. can someone explain cgi-
        > bin and perl differences to me please. and is cgi-bin different
        > than perl? one more thing is it because i am using windows xp home
        > edition instead of pro? I have linux on a computer too but i can't
        > figure out how to hook it up through the network. Sorry for all the
        > question. just want to figure out what is going on and what is best
        > used for perl. thnaks.

        Open a text editor, and paste this into it:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        # Tell perl to send a html header.
        # So your browser gets the output
        # rather then <stdout>(command line
        # on the server.)
        print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

        # print some HTML.
        print '<body><h1>Hello world</h1></body></html>' . "\n";

        exactly as you see it..

        Save the file as hello.cgi and upload it to your hosts cgi-bin,
        and in the FTP client, right click on the uploaded file
        and select either properties or permissions from the menu.
        Set it to chmod 755

        Depending on the FTP client you might have to set it as follows:

        Owner: read/write/execute
        Group: read/execute
        Other: read/execute.

        Which is just another way of saying 755

        Then point your browser to the file, using your domain name.
        http://mydomain.com/cgi-bin/hello.cgi

        If all went well, you should see a page with "Hello World!!" on it..

        If it didn't, you need to find out why.

        check your web hosts help pages to find out if the first line of
        the script is the correct path to perl for that host.

        Then go here:
        http://www.google.com.au/search?q=beginner+Perl+tutorials&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

        and start reading.

        rgds

        Franki
      • Emanuel G Calso
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          searcydigest,
          in addition, to connect your Linux box, that simplest way is to assign a
          static ip address to it (example: 192.168.0.2). You could do this by running
          the "netconfig" command as root:
          $ su -c "netconfig";

          Another way would be to edit your "/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf" file, modify the
          entries so that you'll have:
          IPADDR[0]="192.168.0.2"
          NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
          USE_DHCP[0]=""
          DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
          GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

          That is, assuming you only have one network card on your Linux box. I assumed
          that your ip address is 192.168.0.2 and that your Windows box has 192.168.0.1
          as its ip address.

          Also, you need to enable internet connection sharing in your Windows XP box.

          HTH.

          On Saturday 2004 April 03 14:08, franki wrote:
          > searcydigest wrote:
          > > I get a 404 error or 500 error. i used the #! /user/bin/perl
          > > something like that. do you use that or you use you site domain
          > > name. I can't understand. My web host has a cgi-bin folder but i am
          > > beginning to think it does not support perl. can someone explain cgi-
          > > bin and perl differences to me please. and is cgi-bin different
          > > than perl? one more thing is it because i am using windows xp home
          > > edition instead of pro? I have linux on a computer too but i can't
          > > figure out how to hook it up through the network. Sorry for all the
          > > question. just want to figure out what is going on and what is best
          > > used for perl. thnaks.
          >
          > Open a text editor, and paste this into it:
          >
          > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
          >
          > # Tell perl to send a html header.
          > # So your browser gets the output
          > # rather then <stdout>(command line
          > # on the server.)
          > print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
          >
          > # print some HTML.
          > print '<body><h1>Hello world</h1></body></html>' . "\n";
          >

          > exactly as you see it..
          >
          > Save the file as hello.cgi and upload it to your hosts cgi-bin,
          > and in the FTP client, right click on the uploaded file
          > and select either properties or permissions from the menu.
          > Set it to chmod 755
          >
          > Depending on the FTP client you might have to set it as follows:
          >
          > Owner: read/write/execute
          > Group: read/execute
          > Other: read/execute.
          >
          > Which is just another way of saying 755
          >
          > Then point your browser to the file, using your domain name.
          > http://mydomain.com/cgi-bin/hello.cgi
          >
          > If all went well, you should see a page with "Hello World!!" on it..
          >
          > If it didn't, you need to find out why.
          >
          > check your web hosts help pages to find out if the first line of
          > the script is the correct path to perl for that host.
          >
          > Then go here:
          > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=beginner+Perl+tutorials&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
          >&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
          >
          > and start reading.
          >
          > rgds
          >
          > Franki
          >

          > Unsubscribing info is here:

          eman calso
          http://www.bloodpet.tk/
          "I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem."
          -- Ashleigh Brilliant