RE: [PBML] PHP / Perl : Re: Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script

  • greg.hering@bench.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 1:36 PM
      Dear Perls of Wisdom,

      Ok, I'll admit it. I've been gone for a while and I, well, I wrote something in PHP too. :<(

      My perl program got postponed rather than deployed and I was getting rusty, this new thing was just going to be a short PDF generating script and I was curious and... Arrgghh! Enough with my cowardly rationalizing. I've confessed now and maybe I am starting down the road to recovery! :o)

      Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

      Then I have another problem (I'd rather not talk about...); they use 'expect' here. All over the place. Perl.old comes installed on our test machines but they install 'tcl/tk' and 'expect' to run the test software. I read somewhere that Perl can also do 'spawn, send/expect' type processing.

      Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

      Then I wrote a GUI front end for something in Visual TCL
      because:
      we're using tcl/tk+expect here,
      I stumbled across it,
      it looked cool and...
      I haven't seen an IDE like that for Perl/tk.

      I recently read a late '90s article on 'Perl vs. TCL' and one thing really stuck out, in TCL everything is a string. Everything. It will do implicit conversion that you might not expect and I don't like that (assignment of 020 gets converted to 16 for example, without your asking for that base8->10 conversion; okay maybe you wouldn't be surprised, but it was a text box retrieval and I was!)

      Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

      Finally, there were some problems with some of the 'tk' widgets (combo boxes not responding to down key for example).

      Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

      Many thanks.

      Greg

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 3:52 PM
        I'll answer the questions I can!

        On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:36:31PM -0600, greg.hering@... wrote:
        > Dear Perls of Wisdom,
        >
        > Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

        Dunno, but check this:
        http://search.cpan.org/search?query=PDF&mode=module

        > Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

        Sure is! :)
        http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/Expect-1.15/Expect.pod

        Never used it though. There is also another "simple" expect module:
        http://search.cpan.org/~djerius/Expect-Simple-0.02/Simple.pm

        > Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

        Actually, not only is there a module, there's a book too!
        Module: http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.026/
        Book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastperltk/

        > Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

        Never played with these modules, but I know they're very well supported
        and documented. I'd imagine there's still issues, but perhaps its
        easier to debug and work around in perl than tcl?

        Give it a try and see what happens!

        I hope I helped some?

        > Many thanks.

        You're very welcome!

        --
        Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
      • gordonisnz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 7:36 PM
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, merlyn@s... wrote:

          > gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
          > gordon> programmer :(
          >
          > PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel. It's a great way to get
          > simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.
          <

          Yep - I've saved another email (got it at work..)
          Once they give me FTP access & ask me to upload my php script, I'll
          ask them why they're more restrictive on Perl (i dont want to rock the
          boat before theyve given me FTP :) )

          > However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.
          >
          > When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a
          heavy-hitting language like Perl. And if you have to know Perl anyway
          for that, you might as well use Perl on the small stuff too.
          <

          yep - i know - but my work - all the 'good' stuff is restrictyed to
          head-office people (who have little knowledge of what theyre doing
          anyways..)

          > I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
          > at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

          im up at nights - each night - Programming (Mainly in Perl...)
          - The hard bit is to figure out what to do with my site ...

          although ive delayed 1 bit of perl code i havnt finished yet - need to
          get that done. (thumbnail creation).. think i know how - but i just
          havnt done it. - get distracted by other things...