Re: [PBML] PHP / Perl : Re: Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
      >>>>> "gordon" == gordon stewart <gordonisnz@...> writes:

      gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
      gordon> programmer :(

      PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel. It's a great way to get
      simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.

      However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.

      When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a heavy-hitting
      language like Perl. And if you have to know Perl anyway for that, you
      might as well use Perl on the small stuff too. :)

      I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
      at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

    • greg.hering@bench.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
        Dear Perls of Wisdom,

        Ok, I'll admit it. I've been gone for a while and I, well, I wrote something in PHP too. :<(

        My perl program got postponed rather than deployed and I was getting rusty, this new thing was just going to be a short PDF generating script and I was curious and... Arrgghh! Enough with my cowardly rationalizing. I've confessed now and maybe I am starting down the road to recovery! :o)

        Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

        Then I have another problem (I'd rather not talk about...); they use 'expect' here. All over the place. Perl.old comes installed on our test machines but they install 'tcl/tk' and 'expect' to run the test software. I read somewhere that Perl can also do 'spawn, send/expect' type processing.

        Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

        Then I wrote a GUI front end for something in Visual TCL
        because:
        we're using tcl/tk+expect here,
        I stumbled across it,
        it looked cool and...
        I haven't seen an IDE like that for Perl/tk.

        I recently read a late '90s article on 'Perl vs. TCL' and one thing really stuck out, in TCL everything is a string. Everything. It will do implicit conversion that you might not expect and I don't like that (assignment of 020 gets converted to 16 for example, without your asking for that base8->10 conversion; okay maybe you wouldn't be surprised, but it was a text box retrieval and I was!)

        Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

        Finally, there were some problems with some of the 'tk' widgets (combo boxes not responding to down key for example).

        Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

        Many thanks.

        Greg

        gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
        gordon> programmer :(

        PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel.  It's a great way to get
        simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.

        However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.

        When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a heavy-hitting
        language like Perl.  And if you have to know Perl anyway for that, you
        might as well use Perl on the small stuff too. :)

        I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
        at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brad Lhotsky
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          I'll answer the questions I can!

          On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:36:31PM -0600, greg.hering@... wrote:
          > Dear Perls of Wisdom,
          >
          > Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

          Dunno, but check this:
          http://search.cpan.org/search?query=PDF&mode=module

          > Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

          Sure is! :)
          http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/Expect-1.15/Expect.pod

          Never used it though. There is also another "simple" expect module:
          http://search.cpan.org/~djerius/Expect-Simple-0.02/Simple.pm

          > Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

          Actually, not only is there a module, there's a book too!
          Module: http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.026/
          Book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastperltk/

          > Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

          Never played with these modules, but I know they're very well supported
          and documented. I'd imagine there's still issues, but perhaps its
          easier to debug and work around in perl than tcl?

          Give it a try and see what happens!

          I hope I helped some?

          > Many thanks.

          You're very welcome!

          --
          Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
        • gordonisnz
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, merlyn@s... wrote:

            > gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
            > gordon> programmer :(
            >
            > PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel. It's a great way to get
            > simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.
            <

            Yep - I've saved another email (got it at work..)
            Once they give me FTP access & ask me to upload my php script, I'll
            ask them why they're more restrictive on Perl (i dont want to rock the
            boat before theyve given me FTP :) )

            > However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.
            >
            > When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a
            heavy-hitting language like Perl. And if you have to know Perl anyway
            for that, you might as well use Perl on the small stuff too.
            <

            yep - i know - but my work - all the 'good' stuff is restrictyed to
            head-office people (who have little knowledge of what theyre doing
            anyways..)

            > I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
            > at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

            im up at nights - each night - Programming (Mainly in Perl...)
            - The hard bit is to figure out what to do with my site ...

            although ive delayed 1 bit of perl code i havnt finished yet - need to
            get that done. (thumbnail creation).. think i know how - but i just
            havnt done it. - get distracted by other things...