PHP / Perl : Re: Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script

  • gordon stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
      > Message: 6
      > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:55:43 -0500
      > From: Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:46:42AM -0800, gordon
      > stewart wrote:
      > > Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for
      > :)
      > > (However im increasing my PHP use) ...
      >
      > Why? PHP is still try to catch up to Perl's
      > functionality. I've found
      > that PHP tends to plateau as the program gets more
      > involved. Its great
      > for simple stuff, but the second you have to parse
      > an excel spreadsheet,
      > run for the hills! That, and the lack of lexical
      > scope and a real OO
      > interface force you to rewrite code or take the long
      > way around simple
      > problems.
      >
      > Its unfortunate that so many perl newbies jump ship
      > for PHP.

      I'm no expert - But im not a newbie either...

      Up till a few weeks ago, I knew nothing about PHP..
      - But ive now converted 2 of my CGI scripts to PHP..

      (one is for a USA person, she has very little
      experienmce / no experience with CGI, even though I
      told her exactly what to do...

      I found out, that she has PHP on her server - SO, when
      (a) boss at my work wanted a cgi script converted to
      PHP, I practiced on the USA persons one first (easier
      CGI script...

      I crash-coursed my way through PHP - & its easy (once
      I figured out the names of the commands I wanted)..

      & now ive also done the PHP for my work - Although
      they havnt created my FTP access yet, so i cant do
      much...

      Anyway - This is a bit off topic..

      SUMMARY

      :- I live, breath & die for Perl (I even sleep-write
      my code :) )

      :- Better to know Perl & PHP - than just Perl.. :)

      :- I live, breath & die for Perl (I even sleep-write
      my code :) )

      The HARD bit is figuring out what I need / want :) -
      the creation of code is easy, if I know why I want
      code...

      Of course - if I have need of something i havnt done
      before - I come here - or online...

      PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
      programmer :(

      =====
      New Zealand Online Communities Group.
      nzocg@yahoogroups.com or http://nzocg.kwister.com/
      Spam free communities

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004

        gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
        gordon> programmer :(

        PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel. It's a great way to get
        simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.

        However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.

        When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a heavy-hitting
        language like Perl. And if you have to know Perl anyway for that, you
        might as well use Perl on the small stuff too. :)

        I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
        at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

      • greg.hering@bench.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          Dear Perls of Wisdom,

          Ok, I'll admit it. I've been gone for a while and I, well, I wrote something in PHP too. :<(

          My perl program got postponed rather than deployed and I was getting rusty, this new thing was just going to be a short PDF generating script and I was curious and... Arrgghh! Enough with my cowardly rationalizing. I've confessed now and maybe I am starting down the road to recovery! :o)

          Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

          Then I have another problem (I'd rather not talk about...); they use 'expect' here. All over the place. Perl.old comes installed on our test machines but they install 'tcl/tk' and 'expect' to run the test software. I read somewhere that Perl can also do 'spawn, send/expect' type processing.

          Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

          Then I wrote a GUI front end for something in Visual TCL
          because:
          we're using tcl/tk+expect here,
          I stumbled across it,
          it looked cool and...
          I haven't seen an IDE like that for Perl/tk.

          I recently read a late '90s article on 'Perl vs. TCL' and one thing really stuck out, in TCL everything is a string. Everything. It will do implicit conversion that you might not expect and I don't like that (assignment of 020 gets converted to 16 for example, without your asking for that base8->10 conversion; okay maybe you wouldn't be surprised, but it was a text box retrieval and I was!)

          Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

          Finally, there were some problems with some of the 'tk' widgets (combo boxes not responding to down key for example).

          Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

          Many thanks.

          Greg

          gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
          gordon> programmer :(

          PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel.  It's a great way to get
          simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.

          However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.

          When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a heavy-hitting
          language like Perl.  And if you have to know Perl anyway for that, you
          might as well use Perl on the small stuff too. :)

          I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
          at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brad Lhotsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
            I'll answer the questions I can!

            On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:36:31PM -0600, greg.hering@... wrote:
            > Dear Perls of Wisdom,
            >
            > Q: What would be the best (free) PDF module for Perl? Gee, I feel better already.

            Dunno, but check this:
            http://search.cpan.org/search?query=PDF&mode=module

            > Q: Is there a module for 'expect' like functionality?

            Sure is! :)
            http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/Expect-1.15/Expect.pod

            Never used it though. There is also another "simple" expect module:
            http://search.cpan.org/~djerius/Expect-Simple-0.02/Simple.pm

            > Q: Is there a Perl based IDE for Perl/tk GUI development?

            Actually, not only is there a module, there's a book too!
            Module: http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.026/
            Book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastperltk/

            > Q: Do the widget problems follow tk into Perl or is it different source?

            Never played with these modules, but I know they're very well supported
            and documented. I'd imagine there's still issues, but perhaps its
            easier to debug and work around in perl than tcl?

            Give it a try and see what happens!

            I hope I helped some?

            > Many thanks.

            You're very welcome!

            --
            Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
          • gordonisnz
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, merlyn@s... wrote:

              > gordon> PS - My job can be summarised as 'paper-pusher' - Not
              > gordon> programmer :(
              >
              > PHP is to the web what VBA is to Excel. It's a great way to get
              > simple automation and interactivity embedded in another application.
              <

              Yep - I've saved another email (got it at work..)
              Once they give me FTP access & ask me to upload my php script, I'll
              ask them why they're more restrictive on Perl (i dont want to rock the
              boat before theyve given me FTP :) )

              > However, neither PHP nor VBA scale well.
              >
              > When you're doing large professional work, you'll need a
              heavy-hitting language like Perl. And if you have to know Perl anyway
              for that, you might as well use Perl on the small stuff too.
              <

              yep - i know - but my work - all the 'good' stuff is restrictyed to
              head-office people (who have little knowledge of what theyre doing
              anyways..)

              > I think I once said something like "if you're not programming
              > at least one hour a day, Perl probably isn't for you".

              im up at nights - each night - Programming (Mainly in Perl...)
              - The hard bit is to figure out what to do with my site ...

              although ive delayed 1 bit of perl code i havnt finished yet - need to
              get that done. (thumbnail creation).. think i know how - but i just
              havnt done it. - get distracted by other things...