Re: [PBML] Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      >>>>> "gordon" == gordon stewart <gordonisnz@...> writes:

      gordon> Ive got all sorts of CGI/Perl cron-jobs - to run
      gordon> processes & an email-list system (eg like yahoogroups)
      gordon> but on my own server - No forms & web involved..)

      Why do you keep saying CGI/Perl? Do you mean you are launching
      a Perl script (no CGI involved) from cron? Or do you have a cron
      job that uses LWP to trigger a remote CGI script?

      CGI = mechanism for writing programs to respond to <form action=...>
      Perl = a general purpose programming language, for both web and non-web

    • Brad Lhotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:46:42AM -0800, gordon stewart wrote:
        > Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for :)
        > (However im increasing my PHP use) ...

        Why? PHP is still try to catch up to Perl's functionality. I've found
        that PHP tends to plateau as the program gets more involved. Its great
        for simple stuff, but the second you have to parse an excel spreadsheet,
        run for the hills! That, and the lack of lexical scope and a real OO
        interface force you to rewrite code or take the long way around simple
        problems.

        Its unfortunate that so many perl newbies jump ship for PHP.

        --
        Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
      • Emanuel G Calso
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          ja, i even almost fell for it once, cause they said PHP is much easier to
          learn... but really, what would you want? Something easier to learn, or
          something easier to use.
          I hate other online PERL tutorials for newbies that sometimes advices people
          to skip learning PERL, and just use PHP if they're gonna use it for sites.
          But that's just my small grain of bitterness...
          On Thursday 2004 April 01 22:55, Brad Lhotsky wrote:
          > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:46:42AM -0800, gordon stewart wrote:
          > > Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for :)
          > > (However im increasing my PHP use) ...
          >
          > Why? PHP is still try to catch up to Perl's functionality. I've found
          > that PHP tends to plateau as the program gets more involved. Its great
          > for simple stuff, but the second you have to parse an excel spreadsheet,
          > run for the hills! That, and the lack of lexical scope and a real OO
          > interface force you to rewrite code or take the long way around simple
          > problems.
          >
          > Its unfortunate that so many perl newbies jump ship for PHP.
          --
          eman calso
          http://www.bloodpet.tk/