Spam / Mail / CGI Script

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31 8:45 PM
      Just a query, -

      I *could* do a cron-job every 10 minutes or so, to scan a POP3
      email box for spam messages & determining (on my own criteria) -
      delete / remove them..

      however thats a waste of resources - as I'll be scanning the
      same emailsover & over again (until theyre cleared /
      downloaded)...

      is it possible, for an ISP to 'route' all emails via a CGI
      script - before it reaches the POP mailbox ?
      (But the CGI script is in my regular CGI folder - not an admin
      folder...)

      Ie - it scans each mail once - & no need to re-scan the mailbox
      / emails...

      has this been done ? (i'll email my ISP tonight - )...

      Ps - Nomail here, at work - I'll read reply online tonight...

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

        Gordon> is it possible, for an ISP to 'route' all emails via a CGI
        Gordon> script - before it reaches the POP mailbox ?

        Uh, how is CGI involved here? CGI is a method to manage web
        a web response.

        However, on most decent ISPs, you can use something like "procmail"
        to run a program or at least filter on every mail before it ends up
        in your pop box. Ask your ISP if they support procmail.

      • gordon stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          > Message: 12
          > Date: 01 Apr 2004 02:53:54 -0800
          > From: merlyn@...
          > Subject: Re: Spam / Mail / CGI Script

          > <Gordon.Stewart@...> writes:
          >
          > Gordon> is it possible, for an ISP to 'route' all
          > emails via a CGI
          > Gordon> script - before it reaches the POP mailbox ?
          >

          > Uh, how is CGI involved here? CGI is a method to
          > manage web
          > form, or needing
          > a web response.

          Ive got all sorts of CGI/Perl cron-jobs - to run
          processes & an email-list system (eg like yahoogroups)
          but on my own server - No forms & web involved..)

          Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for :)
          (However im increasing my PHP use) ...

          > However, on most decent ISPs, you can use something
          > like "procmail"
          > to run a program or at least filter on every mail
          > before it ends up
          > in your pop box. Ask your ISP if they support
          > procmail.

          Thanks - Will look up Procmail & see if my host/ISP
          has it installed...

          =====
          New Zealand Online Communities Group.
          nzocg@yahoogroups.com or http://nzocg.kwister.com/
          Spam free communities

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

            gordon> Ive got all sorts of CGI/Perl cron-jobs - to run
            gordon> processes & an email-list system (eg like yahoogroups)
            gordon> but on my own server - No forms & web involved..)

            Why do you keep saying CGI/Perl? Do you mean you are launching
            a Perl script (no CGI involved) from cron? Or do you have a cron
            job that uses LWP to trigger a remote CGI script?

            CGI = mechanism for writing programs to respond to <form action=...>
            Perl = a general purpose programming language, for both web and non-web

          • Brad Lhotsky
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
              On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:46:42AM -0800, gordon stewart wrote:
              > Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for :)
              > (However im increasing my PHP use) ...

              Why? PHP is still try to catch up to Perl's functionality. I've found
              that PHP tends to plateau as the program gets more involved. Its great
              for simple stuff, but the second you have to parse an excel spreadsheet,
              run for the hills! That, and the lack of lexical scope and a real OO
              interface force you to rewrite code or take the long way around simple
              problems.

              Its unfortunate that so many perl newbies jump ship for PHP.

              --
              Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
            • Emanuel G Calso
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
                ja, i even almost fell for it once, cause they said PHP is much easier to
                learn... but really, what would you want? Something easier to learn, or
                something easier to use.
                I hate other online PERL tutorials for newbies that sometimes advices people
                to skip learning PERL, and just use PHP if they're gonna use it for sites.
                But that's just my small grain of bitterness...
                On Thursday 2004 April 01 22:55, Brad Lhotsky wrote:
                > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:46:42AM -0800, gordon stewart wrote:
                > > Anything that involves processing, I use Perl for :)
                > > (However im increasing my PHP use) ...
                >
                > Why? PHP is still try to catch up to Perl's functionality. I've found
                > that PHP tends to plateau as the program gets more involved. Its great
                > for simple stuff, but the second you have to parse an excel spreadsheet,
                > run for the hills! That, and the lack of lexical scope and a real OO
                > interface force you to rewrite code or take the long way around simple
                > problems.
                >
                > Its unfortunate that so many perl newbies jump ship for PHP.
                --
                eman calso
                http://www.bloodpet.tk/