How To Upgrade to Perl 5.8.3 on Redhat 9?

  • Jonathan Chen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
      Hello,

      Does anyone have a link to site as to how to upgrade perl to 5.8.3?

      I've tried to do it and it messed up big time.

      Thanks for any help you can give...

      -Jonathan
    • Emanuel G Calso
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
        Have you tried the rpm updates from fedora fedora-legacy?
        That might work.
        Why did you stick to RH9, anyway? Just asking

        --
        eman calso
        http://www.bloodpet.tk/
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
          debian!

          apt-get update
          apt-get -y install perl

          --
          Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
        • Emanuel G Calso
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
            you might also want to consider
            slackware!

            slapt-get --no-prompt --instell perl

            hehe.

            --
            eman calso
            http://www.bloodpet.tk/
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
              Well I'm using RH9 for now as a test box till everything is cool with
              RH9. Then I will move to Fedora 1. I can't do it right now when
              all my work on the box was on RH9.

              Now I have tried to downloading an updated version in fedora distro
              but was unsuccessful in getting it to work. I tried rpm the 5.8.3
              file and it crashed my whole opensource program that relies on perl
              5.8.3 is you want your attachment not be corrupted.

              I stick with Redhat because I used it for soooooooooooooooooo long.
              Kind of hard to change. Well I'm considering Suse but that is
              another story. =)

              Hopefully you can give me the link to the right perl rpm to try
              again. Thanks!

              -Jonathan

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Emanuel G Calso <eman@m...>
              wrote:
              > Have you tried the rpm updates from fedora fedora-legacy?
              > That might work.
              > Why did you stick to RH9, anyway? Just asking
              > On Wednesday 2004 March 31 01:00, Jonathan Chen wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > Does anyone have a link to site as to how to upgrade perl to
              5.8.3?

              > > I've tried to do it and it messed up big time.
              > >
              > > Thanks for any help you can give...
              > >
              > > -Jonathan
              > --
              > eman calso
              > http://www.bloodpet.tk/
              > Nasrudin was carrying home a piece of liver and the recipe for liver
              > pie. Suddenly a bird of prey swooped down and snatched the piece of
              > meat from his hand. As the bird flew off, Nasrudin called after it,
              > "Foolish bird! You have the liver, but what can you do with it
              without
              > the recipe?"
            • Jonathan Chen
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
                I am curious, which one is more friendlier...slackware or debian?

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                  IMHO, Slackware's much easier... but that's probably cause i've just used
                  Debian once.
                  Anyway, most people would say that it's much easier to install Slackware, but
                  a bit harder to upgrade the packages.
                  Why won't you try both... it's really depends on your own point of view on
                  which one's easier.
                  I wanna give Debian another try, but i don't have anymore disk space for it.
                  Hope you upgrade your PERL soon.

                  --
                  eman calso
                  http://www.bloodpet.tk/

                  But to our modern married fair,
                  Who'd give their lords to save their hair,
                  No stellar recognition's given.
                  There are not stars enough in heaven.
                • franki
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004

                    --
                    rgds

                    Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

                    For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP
                    tutorials and stuff, visit:
                    http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

                    Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer
                    video card upgrades just like desktops.
                    http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html