Re: [PBML] Re: Was: Perl vs PHP for Simple Web Forms

  • franki
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2004
      Philip Rhoades wrote:
      > Brad,
      >
      > I'll try again - obviously I am not being clear:
      >
      > I can't use the base perl rpms - I can't find the compatible module
      > rpms I need (this is why I agreed with the comment: "The problem with
      > Perl as I see it, is that its written by experts for experts.. If they
      > really wanted to get Perl as popular as php currently is, they need to
      > make alot more modules "standard" with any perl install." ie rpm based
      > systems).
      >
      > However, if I install perl and all the perl modules I need via CPAN (ie
      > not rpms) which works great for maintaining perl etc, then that stuffs
      > up other rpm perl dependencies for other apps.
      >
      > Why is it silly to have a _perl_ application depend on particular perl
      > modules?
      >
      > The problem would be solved if eg (in my case) perl-Expect and perl-IO
      > were "standard" in the RH rpms.
      >
      > Phil.

      Hi Phil,

      Well, one thing I have done in the past to get around it...
      is to go to rpmfind.net and find the module src rpm I need and rebuild it..

      then install that..

      Other times I have actually rolled my own rpm's.. and installed them.

      Have you looked at: http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/

      It might serve the purpose you require.

      Also, if you know you have the required modules installed but they are
      installed from cpan not via run,
      then install the rpm with --nodeps and it should install and work just
      fine.

      rgds

      Franki