[PBML] Re: Security for email

  • Jeff Boes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2000
      > -----Original Message-----
      > From: Vicki Hargis [mailto:vhargis@...]
      > Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 4:31 PM
      > To: perl-beginner@...
      > Subject: [PBML] Security for email
      >

      > I created an email referral script.

      You might want to look at Mail::Mailer or some such instead. You're doing it
      the hard way...

      > I am using the -t in the line
      > open (Mail,"|/usr/lib/sendmail -t")||&ErrorMessage; I want to make sure
      > this script is secure. I have four questions: Is the -t in the right
      > place or does it go in the shebang line. Does it protect from tainted
      > data? Do I also need to make sure that the script is being accessed
      > only from my site? The script follows:

      "sendmail -t" doesn't have anything to do with tainted data. The -t on the
      shebang is an entirely different, unrelated option. I forget precisely, but
      I think the sendmail -t has to do with how the 'To' address is supplied to
      sendmail.

      ----
      "To paraphrase Mark Twain, the difference between the right program and
      almost the right program is like the difference between lightning and a
      lightning bug. The difference is just a bug." --Danny Hillis, "The Pattern
      on the Stone" (1998)
      Jeff Boes <>< jboes@...
      Mur Consulting http://www.qtm.net/~jboes/