SiePerl

  • Frederiko dos Santos Costa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 10:00 AM
      Hi dear Friends ...

      Recently, I've downloaded the GNU Win II CD (it contains only free
      software for Windows) and I found another Perl Interpreter. It calls
      SiePerl. I have not installed on my machine yet, but I don't think it is
      better than activeState Perl (which one I did not know it was not free).

      Can anybody tell me something about ....

      Thanks
    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 2:29 PM
        From: Frederiko dos Santos Costa <fredec@...>
        > Recently, I've downloaded the GNU Win II CD (it contains only free
        > software for Windows) and I found another Perl Interpreter. It calls
        > SiePerl. I have not installed on my machine yet, but I don't think it
        > is better than activeState Perl (which one I did not know it was not
        > free).
        >
        > Can anybody tell me something about ....

        Never heard of SiePerl. Google says:

        The binary version of perl (SiePerl) that is provided here was built
        by Siemens Business Services and comes under a free license but has
        no support. A commercially maintained version can be downloaded from
        ActiveState.

        Now, commercially maintained version doesn't mean you have to pay for
        ActivePerl. It means that the company that made (compiled, stuffed
        with goodies and packed) ActivePerl does sell support for it, that
        ActiveState does maintain ActivePerl as part of their bussiness.
        Which aparently cannot be said about Siemens Business Services.

        ActivePerl has many more users so I do think you should stick to it.
        You are more likely to get help if something goes crazy.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery