RE: [PBML] Mac OS X terminal question

  • Fortuno, Adam
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
      Augustine,

      Alright Mac brother, lets roll up our sleeves and do a little MacOS X
      commandline/Perl 101.

      All Mac's ship with Perl. If you're running Panther, you have Perl 5.8.1 (by
      default). If you're running Jaguar, you have Perl 5.6.0 (by default). Like
      John said, don't worry about where Perl is on your workstation. The
      operating system is smart enough to know where Perl is (investigate the Path
      if your interested in how it does this). If you ever doubt that Perl is on
      your Mac, type `Perl -v` at the commandline. You will see version
      information for your build of Perl.

      As for your code, here is my feedback (my comments are prefixed with **).

      === CODE: Original w/comments ===

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      $DNA = 'AACGGTATGACTGAACGCGGTAGC';

      ** The print function is `print` not `PRINT`, case matters.
      PRINT DNA;

      EXIT;

      Ultimately, I know you're doing an excersie, but it would give me a warm
      fuzzy if you just wrote:

      === CODE: Suggested ===

      #! /usr/bin/perl
      print('AACGGTATGACTGAACGCGGTAGC');

      I assume you're working at the commandline and not through Aqua. Keep in
      mind, your running this in Unix. After you creat the file with the code in
      it. You need to change the files permissions to allow you to RUN the script.
      To do this, get a handy Unix how-to book, or blindly follow my advice: chmod
      u+x <file_name> (e.g. chmod u+x test.pl). If you don't do this, when you
      attempt to run the script you will get a permission error.

      Texteditors! You're going to start an old fashion brawl with this question.
      On X, you've choices that include:
      - X Code (Panther only)
      - Project Builder (Jaguar and 10.1.x)
      - BBEdit
      - VIM
      - EMACS

      I use VIM and X Code but I'm running Panther. For you, I suggest VIM or
      Project Builder. Project Builder is provided free of charge by Apple. Its a
      robust text editor for use in Aqua. VIM executes from the shell. Its tough
      to learn but easy to use (kinda like Perl). Once you're adjusted to VIM
      you'll find it all over, and its very helpful. For you, I recommend Project
      Builder, but once you've got a better handle on Perl take the time to work
      in VIM.

      Regards,
      Adam

      F.Y.I: Mac specific Perl help try the OS X Perl list->
      http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=macosx (Don't let Randall know I'm
      pushing the web again)

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- Jeff Eggen <jeggen@...> wrote:
        > >Now: I bought Tisdall's Beg Perl for
        > Bioinformatics. I am trying to
        > >type and run a SIMPLE example in my Mac OS 10.2.x
        > Unix terminal and I
        > >am completely failing. Can a fellow Mac Perl-er
        > help me out with the
        > >logistics of where to write the code, where to save
        > it, and how to
        > >tell my computer to run it. I KNOW THIS IS BELOW
        > you all, but I am
        > >about to shatter my poor computer screen. I am
        > getting the coding
        > >ideas I just cant figure out the system. Thank you
        > all for your
        > >patience. Also, can a Mac person suggest a good
        > free text editor to
        > >use in writing the code.
        >
        > Doesn't Mac OSX come with vi? What could be better?
        >
        > Ooh, I'm gonna take heat for that one.
        >
        > Seriously, though, if there is a Notepad-like editor
        > that lets you save simple text files, you can just
        > use that to code. Or, a search on google for
        > editors would probably turn up something.
        >
        > >-Augustine
        >
        > >FYI the code is:
        >
        > >#!/usr/bin/perl -w
        > >$DNA = 'AACGGTATGACTGAACGCGGTAGC';
        >
        > >PRINT DNA;
        >
        > >EXIT;
        >
        > Is your code actually this case? In caps, I mean.
        > If so, it won't run. Try this:
        >
        > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        >
        > use strict; # Very necessary for a newbie!!
        >
        > my $DNA = 'AACGGTATGACTGAACGCGGTAGC';
        >
        > print $DNA, "\n"; # You need the dollar sign
        > exit;
        >
        > I'm unfamiliar with Mac OSX workings, but if you
        > have some kind of command shell that is anything
        > like unix, just try to run the script via the
        > following commands:
        >
        > First, make it executable:
        > chmod u+x yourscript.pl
        >
        > Then, run it:
        > ./yourscript.pl
        >
        > If it isn't, then you can ignore that bit.
        >
        > If you are attempting to run your script and getting
        > errors, post the errors so we know where to help
        > you.

        Jeff,

        Wonderfully MAC OS X is really UNIX. So from a
        terminal you can follow pretty much all the rules and
        instructions for using and working with PERL on UNIX.

        The vi editor is available on OS X and I find it as
        quick and easy to use as anything else. Certainly
        while in a terminal it's so much quicker than opening
        up seperate apps.

        The first rule to follow ism know where perl is
        instaalled, do the command 'which perl' to tell you
        where it is located it'll be something like
        /usr/bin/perl or maybe /usr/local/bin/perl. This is
        what you need at the top of your script following the
        #!

        Next, for ease of use make sure your currect directory
        is in you PATH. so enter the command PATH=$PATH:.
        This will append the 'current' directory to you path
        and therefore 'find' any executable (script etc)) in
        your current dir (after searching the previous
        directories defined in the PATH variable). It's worth
        noting however that the command above is only valid
        for the time you have that particula terminal session
        open. For it to be configured for everytime you open a
        terminal you'll need to change one or two other file.
        But that a whole different topic.

        Hope this is of assitance.

        Thanks
        Peter

        =====
        P J Dominey
        Independent UNIX Contractor

        E-Mail: pdominey@...
        Web Site: www.dominey.biz
        Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey
        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Maria K Meyers
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
          >Doesn't Mac OSX come with vi? What could be better?

          >Ooh, I'm gonna take heat for that one.

          Nothing is better than vi.
          Vi is the best editor in the world.
          I am a loyal unix user.
          I love vi.
          Ah, vi.
          Vi.

          ~Maria
        • painter_man
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Maria K Meyers" <mmeyer4@h...>
            wrote:

            > >Doesn't Mac OSX come with vi? What could be better?
            >
            > >Ooh, I'm gonna take heat for that one.
            >
            > Nothing is better than vi.
            > Vi is the best editor in the world.
            > I am a loyal unix user.
            > I love vi.
            > Ah, vi.
            > Vi.
            >
            > ~Maria

            Vi is an emacs macro to hide the power of a real editor from those
            who are not yet ready for it.
            <grins and returns to temple to wait for another novice>
            LOL
          • Maria K Meyers
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004

              > Nothing is better than vi.
              > Vi is the best editor in the world.
              > I am a loyal unix user.
              > I love vi.
              > Ah, vi.
              > Vi.
              >
              > ~Maria

              Vi is an emacs macro to hide the power of a real editor from those
              who are not yet ready for it.
              <grins and returns to temple to wait for another novice>
              LOL

              ****
              Oh great and wise one, how might I be ever deemed to learned such
              greatness?
              All praise the great one.
              I will however contine in my ignorance with the blissful use of vi.
              Ah, vi.

              LMAO
            • Paul Archer
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
                > > >Doesn't Mac OSX come with vi? What could be better?
                > >
                > > >Ooh, I'm gonna take heat for that one.
                > >
                > > Nothing is better than vi.
                > > Vi is the best editor in the world.
                > > I am a loyal unix user.
                > > I love vi.
                > > Ah, vi.
                > > Vi.
                > >
                > > ~Maria
                >
                > Vi is an emacs macro to hide the power of a real editor from those
                > who are not yet ready for it.

                From the VI lovers' page (www.thomer.com/vi/vi.html):

                Don't get me wrong: Emacs is a great operating system--it lacks a good
                editor, though.

                Paul "That 'Six' editor is great!" Archer
              • Paul Archer
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2004
                  9:21am, Fortuno, Adam wrote:

                  > Texteditors! You're going to start an old fashion brawl with this question.
                  > On X, you've choices that include:
                  > - X Code (Panther only)
                  > - Project Builder (Jaguar and 10.1.x)
                  > - BBEdit
                  > - VIM
                  > - EMACS
                  >
                  > I use VIM and X Code but I'm running Panther. For you, I suggest VIM or
                  > Project Builder. Project Builder is provided free of charge by Apple. Its a
                  > robust text editor for use in Aqua. VIM executes from the shell. Its tough
                  > to learn but easy to use (kinda like Perl). Once you're adjusted to VIM
                  > you'll find it all over, and its very helpful. For you, I recommend Project
                  > Builder, but once you've got a better handle on Perl take the time to work
                  > in VIM.

                  I would add jEdit to that list. It's Java-based, so you have to have a JVM
                  (Java Virtual Machine). Dunno if OS X comes with, but you can always go to
                  www.sun.com/java to get a JVM.
                  Anyway, jEdit is free, easy to use, and one file installs and runs on Mac,
                  Windows, and pretty much any Unix you care to name (Linux, Solaris, *BSD,
                  etc). www.jedit.org

                  Paul

                  I judge a religion as being good or bad
                  based on whether its adherents become
                  better people as a result of practicing it.
                  - Joe Mullally, computer salesman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004

                    Adam> Like John said, don't worry about where Perl is on your
                    Adam> workstation.

                    Uh, you have to worry, because the #! line has to be correct.

                    Adam> The operating system is smart enough to know where Perl is
                    Adam> (investigate the Path if your interested in how it does this).

                    No, it's not.

                    Adam> If you ever doubt that Perl is on
                    Adam> your Mac, type `Perl -v` at the commandline.

                    No, you mean "perl -v". Case sensitive for commands. That's 3 for 3. Ugh.

                    Remember, when you post a wrong answer, I have to spend time fixing
                    the incorrect answer, instead of answering a new question.

                    Please consider that if you're less experienced. Doublecheck your
                    facts before you post.

                  • Fortuno, Adam
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                      Can't argue with that. What he said.

                      Adam> Like John said, don't worry about where Perl is on your
                      Adam> workstation.

                      Uh, you have to worry, because the #! line has to be correct.

                      Adam> The operating system is smart enough to know where Perl is
                      Adam> (investigate the Path if your interested in how it does this).

                      No, it's not.

                      Adam> If you ever doubt that Perl is on
                      Adam> your Mac, type `Perl -v` at the commandline.

                      No, you mean "perl -v". Case sensitive for commands. That's 3 for 3. Ugh.

                      Remember, when you post a wrong answer, I have to spend time fixing
                      the incorrect answer, instead of answering a new question.

                      Please consider that if you're less experienced. Doublecheck your
                      facts before you post.

                      See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
                      training!

                      Unsubscribing info is here:
                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Fortuno, Adam
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                        Peter,

                        I think you can still get jEdit through Apple's site too (see URL at the
                        bottom of the page).

                        http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/jedit.html

                        Regards,
                        Adam

> [...]

                        up seperate apps.

                        The first rule to follow ism know where perl is
                        instaalled, do the command 'which perl' to tell you
                        where it is located it'll be something like
                        /usr/bin/perl or maybe /usr/local/bin/perl. This is
                        what you need at the top of your script following the
                        #!

                        Next, for ease of use make sure your currect directory
                        is in you PATH. so enter the command PATH=$PATH:.
                        This will append the 'current' directory to you path
                        and therefore 'find' any executable (script etc)) in
                        your current dir (after searching the previous
                        directories defined in the PATH variable). It's worth
                        noting however that the command above is only valid
                        for the time you have that particula terminal session
                        open. For it to be configured for everytime you open a
                        terminal you'll need to change one or two other file.

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Peter Dominey
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                          --- "Fortuno, Adam" <fortunoa@...> wrote:
                          > Peter,
                          >
                          > I think you can still get jEdit through Apple's site
                          > too (see URL at the
                          > bottom of the page).

                          http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/jedit.html

                          > Regards,
                          > Adam

                          Adam,

                          I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm just an old
                          dyed-the-wool UNIX guy so tend to stick with ed or vi
                          (although these days vim as a replacement of 'real'
                          vi) :)

                          Ofcourse as a UNIX by preference person, I'm just over
                          the moon at Apple moving to it and now of course
                          Novell doing the same thing.

                          Tks
                          Pete

                          =====
                          P J Dominey
                          Independent UNIX Contractor

                          E-Mail: pdominey@...
                          Web Site: www.dominey.biz
                          Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey
                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                        • Fortuno, Adam
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                            Peter,

                            I like VI too. I'm just a text editor slut so I go between VI and XCode
                            fairly often.

                            Regarding what you said about OS X, I empathize. The Unix/Mac marriage has
                            provided more synergies that I ever guessed. The platform's flexibility has
                            certainly leapt over preceding OS versions. I've had modest UNIX exposure
                            prior to X. However, working with X on a daily basis has given incentives to
                            do more work at the command line - for the most part its been fruitful. I
                            (as Randal pointed out) have a long way to go in-terms of learning, but the
                            impact on what I can do using my Mac has increased.

                            As far as jEdit, I used it when I first upgraded to X (10.1.x), but it was
                            really-really slow on my G3 laptop so I ditched it.

                            Regards,
                            Adam

                            > I think you can still get jEdit through Apple's site
                            > too (see URL at the
                            > bottom of the page).

                            http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/jedit.html

                            > Regards,
                            > Adam

                            Adam,

                            I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm just an old
                            dyed-the-wool UNIX guy so tend to stick with ed or vi
                            (although these days vim as a replacement of 'real'
                            vi) :)

                            Ofcourse as a UNIX by preference person, I'm just over
                            the moon at Apple moving to it and now of course
                            Novell doing the same thing.

                            Tks
                            Pete

                            =====
                            P J Dominey
                            Independent UNIX Contractor

                            E-Mail: pdominey@...
                            Web Site: www.dominey.biz
                            Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey
                          • Rob Dowell

                              > I think you can still get jEdit through Apple's site
                              > too (see URL at the
                              > bottom of the page).

                              http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/jedit.html

                              > Regards,
                              > Adam

                              Adam,

                              I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm just an old
                              dyed-the-wool UNIX guy so tend to stick with ed or vi
                              (although these days vim as a replacement of 'real'
                              vi) :)

                              Ofcourse as a UNIX by preference person, I'm just over
                              the moon at Apple moving to it and now of course
                              Novell doing the same thing.

                              Tks
                              Pete

                              =====
                              P J Dominey
                              Independent UNIX Contractor

                              E-Mail: pdominey@...
                              Web Site: www.dominey.biz
                              Tel: 972-424-5705 Yahoo IM: pdominey

                            • Hans Ginzel
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                                On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:00:04AM -0600, Maria K Meyers wrote:
                                > >Doesn't Mac OSX come with vi? What could be better?
                                > Vi is the best editor in the world.

                                Perl won the Linux Journal Editors' Choice Award :-)

                                VIM is the Favorite Text Editor
                                (Linux Journal Readers' Choice Awards) :-)

                                Hans

                                --
                                PS: Wish for next version of perl:
                                /--v(?-ersion)/ would be a shorthand for
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004

                                  Hans> VIM is the Favorite Text Editor
                                  Hans> (Linux Journal Readers' Choice Awards) :-)
                                  Hans> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7029

                                  ooh, this is so obviously biased! I demand a florida-style recount!
                                  Over and over. In fact, I can program my Emacs operating system
                                  to send email until it gets changed!

                                • Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
                                    On Feb 5, Hans Ginzel said:

                                    >PS: Wish for next version of perl:
                                    >/--v(?-ersion)/ would be a shorthand for

                                    Have you let the Perl Porters know? Sadly, you can't use (?-...), because
                                    (?-...) is reserved for turning off regex flags (so (?-i) turns off
                                    case-insensitivity).

                                    However, (??ersion) seems appropriate to me, even if it looks a little
                                    noisy. I could add support for it in Regexp::Parser when I finish it.