Re: [PBML] The best book for an extreme Newbie to programming

  • Dustin Davis
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
      One book that got me started in a hurry was Cross-Platform Perl by Eric
      Foster-Johnson. Here's an amazon link: (check out the reviews - many
      suggest this book for beginners)

      http://linkcloak.com/1

      -Dustin

      wadunn83 said:
      > Hello.
      >
      > I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
      > long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
      > looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
      > foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
      > anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
      > why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
      > 10.2. Thank you all and good day.
      >
      > Augustine
      >

      > Unsubscribing info is here:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Dustin Davis
      --
      http://LDSPDA.com
      http://Shiblon.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
          Two perl books come to mind:

          Essential:
          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/

          This may drive things a bit closer to home for you:
          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/begperlbio/

          These will help out once you feel comfortable:
          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3
          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlckbk2
          http://www.manning.com/Conway/index.html

          Hope that helps.

          On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:32:21PM -0000, wadunn83 wrote:
          > Hello.
          >
          > I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
          > long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
          > looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
          > foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
          > anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
          > why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
          > 10.2. Thank you all and good day.
          >
          > Augustine

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
        • Mike Muratet
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
            Augustine

            There are several O'Reilly books by Tisdale or Gibas that are good intros to
            perl for biologists. There is also a famous article by Lincoln Stein about
            perl you will find interesting. (I don't have the URL, but it should be easy
            enough to find.) There are perl modules for just about everything you could
            want at bioperl.org along with a good tutorial.

            Enjoy

            Mike

            > I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
            > long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
            > looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
            > foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
            > anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
            > why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
            > 10.2. Thank you all and good day.
            >
            > Augustine
            >

            > Unsubscribing info is here:
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • J.E. Cripps
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
              Augustine<wadunn83@...> did lately here inquire:
              > I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
              > long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
              > looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
              > foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
              > anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
              > why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
              > 10.2. Thank you all and good day.

              Both Simon Cozens (Wrox) and Andrew Johnson (Manning) have
              written Perl books for ppl with little or no background.

              My advice: 1. Get the Perl "Hello World" running.
              2. Look at the books recommended on this list (try
              your local megastore... or beg from someone) and get
              one for your very own. (Learn to live with the fact that
              you'll want more than you have at any one moment.)
              3. Run "perldoc perl" on your system. (this perhaps
              should be second) 4. Start trying the examples and
              exercises in the book...

              The O'Reilly advanced Perl books (Bioinformatics) should
              provide incentives to persevere.
            • Fortuno, Adam
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
                Augustine,

                I'm running 10.3 (good to see another MacOS X user).

                I recommend the llama book (Learning Perl by O'Reilly & Associates 3rd Edit;
                ISBN 0596001320). If you are new to programming, I cannot think of a better
                reference. Concise, informative, and readable by anyone. I think the books
                ability to teach the 20% of perl code you'll use some 80% of the time makes
                it a winner. I bought it a while ago and read it in about a month - doing
                the examples. I'd say by 3-weeks in I was already putting what I learned to
                use at work (I run Win32 at work). In some cases using code I wrote at home
                (on my PB G4).

                Learning Perl -> http://www.bookpool.com/.x/7q8bm64rp6/sm/0596001320

                Regards,
                Adam

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004

                  Adam> I recommend the llama book (Learning Perl by O'Reilly &
                  Adam> Associates 3rd Edit; ISBN 0596001320). If you are new to
                  Adam> programming, I cannot think of a better reference.

                  Oddly, that's not really an intended use. I don't really explain what
                  a variable is for, how to use an array, or why you might want to put
                  code into a subroutine. I presume that people know that before they
                  pick up the llama.

                  Maybe you already knew that stuff, so you didn't notice that I didn't
                  teach it there. :)

                  But thanks for the recommendation.

                • Brian Gordon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
                    I dunno whether ill get attacked for this or not but:
                    I am glad that I didn't try to program all at once with Perl. I would
                    have drowned. I went like this, in this order:

                    HTML- HTML 4 For Dummies
                    I actually somewhat regret that I learned this; it is of no advantage to
                    learning to program and I only ever used it to change existing HTML.

                    Javascript basics - http://webteacher.com/javascript
                    Here I learned the basic concepts of notation, syntax, and variables. It
                    also got me hyped about scripting

                    C++ - Sam's Teach Youself C++ in 24 Hours
                    Big mistake. I started out my first programming language with the DJGPP
                    compiler [insert beastlike hiss] and failed miserably. I just couldn't
                    get the compiler to work and as a result I never even got "Hello World!"
                    to work. Just before I quit, i downloaded and installed Dev_C++ by
                    Bloodshed Software and left the world of C++.

                    Perl- Online Community College course
                    I learned it well enough to rip off the instructor's (public domain of
                    course) code, like turning a wine database search into a keyword-based
                    intra-site websearch. My courses were good, but unfortunately had a very
                    steep learning curve and discouraged me from ever trying again. I rarely
                    tried again.

                    Java - Online Community College course
                    ...dont....EVER....... ...

                    TI-BASIC- Taught myself
                    This is the only language I have completely mastered and I consider
                    myself to be one of the top hundred programmers in the world (in 83
                    TI-BASIC). This language is interpreted by the Z80 TI-OS, which ships
                    with the TI graphing calculators. This was an utter mistake as you only
                    have access to ten string vars, 27 real number vars, ten bitmaps, ten
                    matrices, and a bunch of stat lists. But hey, it's portable. The
                    language runs at less than 2mhz, but nevertheless it's fast enough for
                    math and non-graphics-intensive games. I started learning Z80 assembly
                    (gameboys, graphing calculators, etc) but quit when I saw what you had
                    to do to divide (w/o romcalls):

                    LD HL,5 ; 256 / 52 = 5
                    LD D,E
                    LD E,L

                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $000A
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $000F
                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $001E
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $0023
                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $0046
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $004B
                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $0096
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $009B
                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $0136
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $013B
                    ADD HL,HL ; HL = $0276
                    ADD HL,DE ; HL = $027B

                    PHP - PHP/MySQL Programming for the absolute beginner
                    For an into to programming/scripting, I highly recommend this book. It
                    goes as far back as basic HTML and takes you straight through advanced
                    MySQL manipulation. Yeah, I know its PHP but you can't deny that its at
                    least beginner friendly (even if its not as powerful as perl) and the
                    book is great.

                    C++ - Sam's Teach Youself C++ in 24 Hours
                    I'm on this right now and its going great.

                    I think that HTML first (in 6th grade, too!) helped with learning basic
                    scripting which helped learn advanced scripting which helped me learn
                    programming.

                    wadunn83 wrote:

                    > Hello.
                    >
                    > I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
                    > long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
                    > looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
                    > foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
                    > anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
                    > why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
                    > 10.2. Thank you all and good day.
                    >
                    > Augustine
                    >

                    > Unsubscribing info is here:
                    >

                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                    > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ctjbhfp/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1075480374/A=1945638/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&partid=4116732>

                  • Brian Gordon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
                      oh and the reason that I said I downloaded dev_c++ is because I
                      redisovered it and its working great, best compiler I've ever used (free
                      too). However, you'll probably never have any need to write anything
                      executable unless it needs to be distributable. And something you should
                      know if you don't already, advanced scripting like Perl, PHP, and ASP
                      all need to run on a webserver. So unless you're going to upload all of
                      your code or just install Activeperl and/or apache on your system, you
                      just can't do it. asm and javascript and vbscript work on your comp, and
                      if you're willing to purchase some devtools like visual basic,
                      coldfusion, or .net, they work too. I would suggest not buying a devpack
                      just because if it needs one and its complicated enough to cost money,
                      then its too complicated for a beginner. I would blindly say that
                      Coldfusion would probably be the most beginner-friendly of the paid
                      ones, unless you get something platform-unique like calculator basic or
                      something.

                    • Maria K Meyers
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 29, 2004
                        I'm a visual learner. I started all of my programming interests with the
                        Visual Quickstart Guides. They have one tailored to website CGIs. That's
                        what I needed and it helped me a lot. From there, I bought the mammoth
                        Complete Reference Guide from Osborne/McGraw Hill, joined this group, and
                        book marked some helpful perl sites. I am still a beginner in a lot of
                        ways. My regret is that I learned only what I needed for each project.
                        So, I am missing some of the building blocks and that causes me some grief.
                        Some one recently gave me a helpful hint on this list about the $! scalar
                        variable. It listed error output for me! So, I suggest that after the
                        Visual Quickstart Guide, get a good building blocks book.
                        ~Maria

                        "wadunn83"
                        <wadunn83@... To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                        > cc: (bcc: Maria K Meyers/CrownCenter/HALLMARK)
                        01/29/04 10:32 AM
                        Please respond to
                        perl-beginner

                        Hello.

                        I am a biologist. I have been interested in learning to program for a
                        long time and have decided to just jump in and try not to drown. I am
                        looking for a book that will give me what I need to form a strong
                        foundation that I can use to start experimenting and grow. Does
                        anyone have a favorite EXTREME beginner's book that they like? Also
                        why is it good. I should say that I will be using a Mac running OS
                        10.2. Thank you all and good day.

                        Augustine

                        Unsubscribing info is here:

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
                          I have an array containg strings that I want to sort. If I do

                          @array = sort(@array);

                          I get something like this:

                          \BINDING.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\3.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\4.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\5.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\3.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\4.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\5.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\6.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML

                          ... But, I need to get something like this:

                          \BINDING.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\3.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\4.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\5.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\10\6.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\3.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\4.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\1\5.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\1.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\2.HTML
                          \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML

                          Is there a way to change how the sort function sorts numbers as apposed to
                          characters?

                          Thanks,
                          Dustin

                          Dustin Davis
                          --
                          http://LDSPDA.com
                          http://Shiblon.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
                            I am also a research person in a department that is
                            rapidly developing an interest in bioinformatics. A
                            very nice beginners book we've come across is
                            http://vig.prenhall.com/academic/product?ISBN=0130284181
                            I am looking at taking a "Special Studies"
                            (independent) course in Perl here very soon. I like
                            the flow of this book and their emphasis on LiveCode
                            examples. Thought its not a (well-respected) O'Reilly
                            book, Deitel has a well established name made for
                            them. It also has a few chapters in it on the things
                            that you will be dealing with in terms of other
                            programs, while using perl: CGI, tk, CSS, and even a
                            chapter on Python (although I havent yet decided if us
                            bioinformatics folks do much with Python). If you
                            happen to have a Pren-Hall rep available, you can also
                            order the Instructors Solution manual etc etc.

                            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                          • wadunn83
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
                              I want to thank everyone who has replied to my original post. You
                              guys have given me much to think about, and I owe you all. I believe
                              that I am going to start with beginning perl for bioinformatics due to
                              its unassuming starting place and because that is what I want to use
                              this skill for in the first place. Once again, i thank you all, and I
                              will pop in later and let you know how it is going!

                              Thanks again.

                              Augustine
                            • daymobrew@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
                                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Dustin Davis" <dustin@d...> wrote:
                                > I have an array containg strings that I want to sort. If I do
                                >
                                > @array = sort(@array);
                                >
                                > I get something like this:
                                >
                                > \BINDING.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\3.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\4.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\5.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\3.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\4.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\5.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\6.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML
                                >
                                > ... But, I need to get something like this:
                                >
                                > \BINDING.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\3.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\4.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\5.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\10\6.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\3.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\4.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\1\5.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\1.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\2.HTML
                                > \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML
                                >

                                > Is there a way to change how the sort function sorts numbers as
                                apposed to
                                > characters?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Dustin
                                >
                                > Dustin Davis
                                > --
                                > http://LDSPDA.com
                                > http://Shiblon.com

                                You could use a subroutine to do the sorting.
                                See http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/func/sort.html
                                and the 'byage' example.

                                You might need to split out the numeric portions of the path
                                e.g. \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML
                                into 2004,2,3
                                Then compare each bit of one path with another.
                                For example:
                                Path 1: \TEACHINGS 2004\2\3.HTML
                                Path 2: \TEACHINGS 2004\1\2.HTML
                                becomes 2004,2,3 and 2004,1,2
                                when compared 2004 == 2004 and then 2 > 1 so the first one is greater.

                                You would do the splitting on '\' and then extract numbers out with, I
                                think, s/(\d)/$1/g
                                I'm terrible with s/// so I have to experiment a lot with that when I
                                use it.

                                Hopefully I haven't confused you too much.
                              • J.E. Cripps
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
                                  > From: Brian Gordon <microsteel@...> in forum haec scripsit hodie:
                                  > replying to Augustine <wadunn83@...>
                                  > > I dunno whether ill get attacked for this or not but:
                                  > > I am glad that I didn't try to program all at once with Perl. I would
                                  > > have drowned. I went like this, in this order...

                                  Brian's braver than I am. Most ppl can recall a confusing and
                                  intermittent programming infancy but don't dare to relate the
                                  gory details, even though discussion would be helpful (I'm
                                  not sure where, though)

                                  His is not wildly unusual for ppl those who began
                                  in recent decade(s) and at an early age (single-digit)
                                  But there's no "typical infancy" any more, if there ever was.

                                  The metaphor of "drowning" is interesting. I have horrible
                                  memories of early failure (but not with Perl, because of the
                                  community support.)

                                  I'd like to say there's no real reason for fear, come in
                                  the water's fine (at the shallow end) You won't drown
                                  (unless you've made representations of skill or committments
                                  beyond your capacity to fulfill in a fairly limited time.)

                                  Or maybe another metaphor, flight, "ad astra per aspera"
                                  Frustrations will crop up, all the time. The earlier flights
                                  aren't long and you will crash. But it will be more enjoyable
                                  long before your skills are stellar.

                                  [BG, recalling a non-Perl language and one of its compilers...]
                                  > > Big mistake. I started out my first programming language with the [a
                                  > > well-regarded compiler] I just couldn't get the compiler to work and as
                                  > > a result I never even got "Hello World!" to work.

                                  "This is the big hurdle: to leap over it you have to be able
                                  to create the program text somewhere... run it, and find out
                                  where your output went. With these mechanical difficulties
                                  mastered everything else is comparatively easy." Brian
                                  Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, in a renowned non-Perl book [0]

                                  This is one reason to recommend Perl. I've installed it from
                                  a CD several times with no difficulty (although I prefer OSes
                                  where it's a standard) Not on a Mac, though.

                                  To recapitulate: text editor (or what you will), perl (lc, the
                                  interpreter, vide perlfaq1), perl perl (and all the other
                                  docs)... type the code, run it, and capture and read the error
                                  messages. Repeat ad libitum...

                                  Regards CYC/JEC

                                  [0] The C Programming Language, 2nd edition (1988)
                                  Glossarium: astrum, astri: star
                                  asper, -era, -erum: stormy, harsh, rude, difficult
                                  --
                                  The scene in NYC: http://www.nyxls.com
                                • Madhu Reddy
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                                    Hi,
                                    what is the difference between using "system" call
                                    and using ` `(back quotes) in perl ?

                                    suppose i have followinh shell script

                                    ----------t1.ksh-------
                                    #!/bin/ksh

                                    echo "Before BTEQ"

                                    BTEQ <<EOF

                                    here some commands specific to BTEQ
                                    EOF

                                    echo "After Bteq"
                                    ------------- END of ksh ---------
                                    following is my perl script

                                    -----------test.pl---------
                                    print "executing shell \n";

                                    system "t1.ksh";

                                    print "t1.ksh completed";

                                    ------- end of test.pl ----------

                                    --------test_1.pl-----------
                                    print "executing shell \n";

                                    `t1.ksh`;

                                    print "t1.ksh completed";

                                    ----------- END OF test_1.pl------

                                    1) Out put of test.pl
                                    executing shell
                                    BEFORE BTEQ
                                    After BTEQ

                                    2) Out put of test_1.pl
                                    executing shell
                                    BEFORE BTEQ

                                    second one will not printing anything after BTEQ...

                                    what could be the reasons ?

                                    Thanks
                                    -Madhu

                                    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/