Re: [PBML] HTML Feedback Form

  • franki
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
      http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

      probably the best free formmail script thats free on the internet.

      rgds

      Franki

      Erik Tank wrote:

      > http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/cgi/
      > http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/cgi_docs.html
      >

      > syedraheemuddin wrote:
      >

      >>hi aim a new in CGI ang Perl i just want to learn how make a feedback
      >>form in HTML through CGI or PErl.

      >>Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>
      >>To visit your group on the web, go to:

      >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
      >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Vivien Mott
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
        There is also another good place for CGI free forms and they are written
        very well:

        http://tesol.net/scripts/CGI-Subscribe/

        Vivien

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004

          Vivien> There is also another good place for CGI free forms and they are written
          Vivien> very well:

          Vivien> http://tesol.net/scripts/CGI-Subscribe/

          I'll challenge the "written very well" from a technical standpoint.
          In a few minutes of scanning, I see they are using hand-rolled
          CGI parsing routines instead of CGI.pm. That was fine in 1995,
          but completely unacceptable in 2003. Denial of service attacks and
          security holes result from such code.

          Just based on that, I'm scared to put those anywhere near any server
          that *I* have an influence on. You should do the same.

        • Vivien Mott
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hi Randal:

            Yes, you have the right to say how you feel, but I have used them on ALL my
            customers web sites for the many years. Perl was supposed to be lots of ways
            to do things, do it your way ... but it's authoritarian and hectoring behind
            the smiles. No doubt like its founder. Executable line noise.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004

              Vivien> Yes, you have the right to say how you feel, but I have used
              Vivien> them on ALL my customers web sites for the many years.

              And now if any of them get broken in, you can no longer claim that
              you've never been told that these programs have known substandard coding
              styles. In court, you would lose, and become a liable party and have
              to pay damages.

              It's not wise to ignore experts.

              That's the reason I bring this up here. If code is substandard, and
              you choose it anyway, you run increased risk of financial and
              reputation loss. For that reason, I would condemn the programs from
              that site... they're universally substandard, and so you use them at
              your own risk.

            • franki
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                Thats why I suggested the nms scripts...

                The least likely of the free ones to turn your server into a spam gateway...
                (written by the London Perlmonks of memory serves.)

                rgds

                Franki

                merlyn@... wrote:

                > Vivien> Yes, you have the right to say how you feel, but I have used
                > Vivien> them on ALL my customers web sites for the many years.
                >
                > And now if any of them get broken in, you can no longer claim that
                > you've never been told that these programs have known substandard coding
                > styles. In court, you would lose, and become a liable party and have
                > to pay damages.
                >
                > It's not wise to ignore experts.
                >
                > That's the reason I bring this up here. If code is substandard, and
                > you choose it anyway, you run increased risk of financial and
                > reputation loss. For that reason, I would condemn the programs from
                > that site... they're universally substandard, and so you use them at
                > your own risk.

              • Ben Maynard
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Vivien

                  It is always wise to pay attention to someone who has
                  their own geekcode entry :op

                  For future reference a good source of free cgi scripts
                  is:

                  http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

                  Put together by members of the London.pm

                  Ben

                  --- merlyn@... wrote: > >>>>> "Vivien" ==
                  Vivien Mott

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Hi Randal:

                    > And now if any of them get broken in, you can no longer claim that
                    > you've never been told that these programs have known substandard coding
                    > styles. In court, you would lose, and become a liable party and have
                    > to pay damages.

                    Being a lawyer the above statement I think is C **p

                    > It's not wise to ignore experts.

                    No I do listen to experts, but so many people say they are experts and they
                    all have different ideas .. if you are the expert (and I have read your
                    book) why don't you make it easy for all of us here and just say which
                    scripts are the best and which ones to use, then we would all know what the
                    experts know.

                    > That's the reason I bring this up here. If code is substandard, and
                    > you choose it anyway, you run increased risk of financial and
                    > reputation loss. For that reason, I would condemn the programs from
                    > that site... they're universally substandard, and so you use them at
                    > your own risk.

                    Show me something different, one you would use and then if I am taken to
                    court I can quote "an expert advised me on what script to use for a Form
                    Feedback".

                    Vivien
                  • Vivien Mott
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Hi Ben:

                      > Vivien
                      >
                      > It is always wise to pay attention to someone who has
                      > their own geekcode entry :op

                      He was not helpful - he didn't tell me how these denial of services would
                      occur, he didn't say anything about cgi.pm. He did not help. Just strutted
                      his stuff. Very macho. That is why so few females go into computing.
                      Basically I just felt like a flame! attack, I think that would have helped
                      much more.

                      > For future reference a good source of free cgi scripts
                      > is:
                      >
                      > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml
                      >
                      > Put together by members of the London.pm

                      I would never use the above scripts as they also have problems.

                      Vivien
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004

                        Vivien> Show me something different, one you would use and then if I
                        Vivien> am taken to court I can quote "an expert advised me on what
                        Vivien> script to use for a Form Feedback".

                        The NMS scripts are written by people I trust. And since those
                        were already brought up here, I didn't want to repeat the information.

                        But being a lawyer, you apparently need the same thing read to you three
                        times. There you go. :)

                      • Ben Maynard
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                          NMS has problems that is news to me perhaps you would
                          enlighten me on the problems with NMS scripts.

                          In regards to Randalls comments I think he was very
                          helpful, he didn't mention any particular problem with
                          the scripts, he just said that because they weren't
                          using cgi.pm there could be a problem, I am sure if
                          you hire his services he will do an analysis of the
                          scripts and itemise all the possible problems that
                          could occur.

                          For more information on cgi.pm

                          http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.01/CGI.pm

                          It is most likely the most well know perl module in
                          existence.

                          Ben

                          --- Vivien Mott <vivienmott@...> wrote: >
                          Hi Ben:

                          > > Vivien
                          > >
                          > > It is always wise to pay attention to someone who
                          > has
                          > > their own geekcode entry :op
                          >
                          > He was not helpful - he didn't tell me how these
                          > denial of services would
                          > occur, he didn't say anything about cgi.pm. He did
                          > not help. Just strutted
                          > his stuff. Very macho. That is why so few females go
                          > into computing.
                          > Basically I just felt like a flame! attack, I think
                          > that would have helped
                          > much more.
                          >

                          > > For future reference a good source of free cgi
                          > scripts
                          > > is:
                          > >
                          > > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml
                          > >
                          > > Put together by members of the London.pm
                          > >

                          > I would never use the above scripts as they also
                          > have problems.
                          >

                          > Vivien
                          >

                          > Unsubscribing info is here:

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Charles K. Clarkson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Vivien Mott <vivienmott@...> wrote:

                            : >

                            :
                            : Just strutted his stuff. Very macho. That is why so
                            : few females go into computing. Basically I just felt
                            : like a flame! attack, I think that would have
                            : helped much more.

                            Those of us who are used to Randal realize he is
                            socially challenged. When you see his signature on an
                            email, you need to read what he says and try to ignore
                            how he says it. Think of him as a drill sargent. A
                            genius at programming with deficient communication
                            skills. The stereotypical nerd. Have a little pity.
                            :)

                            : > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml
                            : >
                            : > Put together by members of the London.pm
                            : >
                            :
                            : I would never use the above scripts as they also
                            : have problems.

                            What problems? I've never used them either, but
                            they are actually well written.

                            HTH,

                            Charles K. Clarkson
                            --
                            Head Bottle Washer,
                            Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                              From: "Vivien Mott" <vivienmott@...>
                              > > Vivien
                              > >
                              > > It is always wise to pay attention to someone who has
                              > > their own geekcode entry :op
                              >
                              > He was not helpful - he didn't tell me how these denial of services
                              > would occur, he didn't say anything about cgi.pm. He did not help.
                              > Just strutted his stuff. Very macho. That is why so few females go
                              > into computing.

                              Bullshit. But a nice try.

                              I'm sure from now on everyone will treat you like a piece of delicate
                              glass. And let you collect the dust.

                              > > For future reference a good source of free cgi scripts
                              > > is:
                              > >
                              > > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml
                              > >
                              > > Put together by members of the London.pm
                              > >

                              > I would never use the above scripts as they also have problems.
                              >
                              > Vivien

                              Would you care to provide some details ... for us mere males?

                              Jenda
                            • Jenda Krynicky
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                From: "Charles K. Clarkson" <cclarkson@...>
                                > Vivien Mott <vivienmott@...> wrote:
                                > : Ben Maynard <liliafan@...> wrote:
                                > : He was not helpful - he didn't tell me how these
                                > : denial of services would occur, he didn't say
                                > : anything about cgi.pm. He did not help.
                                > :
                                > : Just strutted his stuff. Very macho. That is why so
                                > : few females go into computing. Basically I just felt
                                > : like a flame! attack, I think that would have
                                > : helped much more.
                                >
                                > Those of us who are used to Randal realize he is
                                > socially challenged.

                                Or quite probably just too busy and too worn out to care.
                                Explaining the same thing over and over again gets on ones nerves.

                                > When you see his signature on an
                                > email, you need to read what he says and try to ignore
                                > how he says it.

                                Which is exactly what you should do in any technical forum. If you
                                wanna socialize you should go elsewhere.

                                > Think of him as a drill sargent.

                                ??? Not even Mariam-Webster has any idea what's "sargent".
                                It knows WHO was one Sargent: 1856-1925 American painter; known
                                chiefly for elegant portraits of the Edwardian gentry; caused a
                                scandal with his portrait of famed Parisian beauty known as "Madame
                                X"

                                Jenda
                                -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004

                                  Jenda> Or quite probably just too busy and too worn out to care.
                                  Jenda> Explaining the same thing over and over again gets on ones nerves.

                                  "Bing!" (From Groundhog Day, a great movie)

                                  I don't treat the audience of this list as babies. I figure that if
                                  they want to know more, they can ask again for me to elaborate, or
                                  write me privately and hire me to explain it to them (thanks for that
                                  suggestion!), or spend 15 minutes googling for the extra information.

                                  Otherwise, I'm not going to retype or cut-n-paste the same things I've
                                  said here or elsewhere. I say enough to nudge people in a useful
                                  direction, then move on. It's the old 80-20 rule in action.

                                  If this is truely *not* useful, I think I'd be getting a lot more
                                  hostility *everywhere* I go. I don't see any public evidence for
                                  that.

                                  Although, I do take exception to the one who said I had no social
                                  skills. Perhaps you see me through your own filters of expectations
                                  of me. I was able to chat with someone about a year back who had
                                  similar criticisms, and on reflection, he was unable to point to any
                                  specific behavior he had *actually* witnessed. He was instead passing
                                  along and acting on an untested collective belief that I was rude and
                                  crude, sort of a tribal mythos. Perhaps you have a similar prejudice?

                                  I didn't really ask to be a public figure, but I'm really sincerely
                                  attempting to own up to the responsibility. I welcome feedback, and I
                                  do accomodate.

                                • Brad Lhotsky
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                    I think you just got rubbed wrong by Randal's straight forward writing
                                    style. Yes, perl encourages you to do things your way. You have to
                                    admit there are certain things that people have done which eclipse your
                                    own abilities. There's a reason why the script you pointed to is not
                                    included as part of the Core distribution, whereas, CGI.pm is.

                                    Certain individuals, doing things their own way with community support,
                                    are capable of producing a quality product above and beyond a single
                                    person's own abilities.

                                    CGI.pm is an AWESOME example on an ideal BlackBox design. Do you speak
                                    native HTTP 1.1 ? If not, it is far better to leave this conversation to
                                    CGI.pm who does. If you're a lawyer and a programmer, I doubt you've had
                                    time to read through the relevant RFC's to be able to handle a
                                    multipart/form-data POST from scratch which also includes query string
                                    arguments? :)

                                    TIMTOWTDI, but sometimes, one way is exponentially
                                    wiser/smarter/easier/more comprehensive to use.

                                    There is no excuse to NOT use CGI for standard cgi model web
                                    programming, or DBI for database interfaces for that matter.
                                    More work than you could reproduce in a lifetime is available to you for
                                    free, no strings attached. Plus, what happens when I want to provide
                                    feedback and attach a picture of something? Not an unrealistic request
                                    in these days of increasing high speed connections.

                                    Please, do _NOT_ encourage people to decypher query strings using that
                                    archaic cgilib.pl style code block that makes me cringe.

                                    On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:25:26PM -0000, Vivien Mott wrote:
                                    > Hi Randal:
                                    >
                                    > Yes, you have the right to say how you feel, but I have used them on ALL my
                                    > customers web sites for the many years. Perl was supposed to be lots of ways
                                    > to do things, do it your way ... but it's authoritarian and hectoring behind
                                    > the smiles. No doubt like its founder. Executable line noise.
                                    >

                                    > > Vivien> http://tesol.net/scripts/CGI-Subscribe/
                                    > >
                                    > > I'll challenge the "written very well" from a technical standpoint.
                                    > > In a few minutes of scanning, I see they are using hand-rolled
                                    > > CGI parsing routines instead of CGI.pm. That was fine in 1995,
                                    > > but completely unacceptable in 2003. Denial of service attacks and
                                    > > security holes result from such code.
                                    > >
                                    > > Just based on that, I'm scared to put those anywhere near any server
                                    > > that *I* have an influence on. You should do the same.
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > > Randal L. Schwartz -

                                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    --
                                    Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
                                  • J.E. Cripps
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 8, 2004
                                      On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, someone with great expertise, whose name
                                      I've deleted on general principles, wrote, responding to another
                                      person who said:

                                      > > When you see [yet another Perl expert's] signature on an
                                      > > e-mail message, you need to read what he says and try to ignore
                                      > > how he says it.

                                      > Which is exactly what you should do in any technical forum. If you
                                      > wanna socialize you should go elsewhere.

                                      My opinions exactly.