Re: Good book for beginners

  • bobby_joness
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bobby_joness"
      <bobby_joness@y...> wrote:
      > Can someone recommend me a good book for beginners who do not have
      > progrmming skills. Also a good web site with the content. Thanks a
      > lot in advance. Bob.

      I would like to thank J.E. Cripps, merlyn@ stonehenge.com and James
      E Keenan for their good advice regarding perl for beginners. Most of
      the problems I have been facing are I have a server in a windows xp
      operating system. I would like to get to learn perl to design my own
      scripts. Most of the books I have seen are for an Unix environment
      and some of the most elemental example I have been able to execute.
      Some others have not. I have installed perl for windows and all of
      my scripts are written with he right path c:\perl\perl.exe however
      still there are a few example in books that I can not get to work in
      the server.
      Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004

        bobby> Most of the problems I have been facing are I have a server in
        bobby> a windows xp operating system. I would like to get to learn
        bobby> perl to design my own scripts. Most of the books I have seen
        bobby> are for an Unix environment and some of the most elemental
        bobby> example I have been able to execute. Some others have not. I
        bobby> have installed perl for windows and all of my scripts are
        bobby> written with he right path c:\perl\perl.exe however still there
        bobby> are a few example in books that I can not get to work in the
        bobby> server.

        You keep saying "the server". Is this a box that you are sitting at,
        and can get a console prompt inside a terminal window? In that case,
        *most* of the scripts you encounter as a beginner should work just
        fine.

        If not, are you trying to execute these scripts through CGI and uploading
        them with FTP? If so, most of the scripts *won't* run, as CGI is not
        Perl's primary interface (then, now, or forever {grin}).

        Can you elaborate?