Good book for beginners

  • bobby_joness
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
      Can someone recommend me a good book for beginners who do not have
      progrmming skills. Also a good web site with the content. Thanks a
      lot in advance. Bob.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004

        bobby> Can someone recommend me a good book for beginners who do not have
        bobby> progrmming skills. Also a good web site with the content. Thanks a
        bobby> lot in advance. Bob.

        Aren't new subscribers to this list sent a resource FAQ, like pointers
        to http://learn.perl.org? If not, can the responsible people please
        set up such a "welcome to PBML" doc?

      • James E Keenan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
          On 02 Jan 2004 17:51:47 -0800, merlyn@... wrote concerning:
          Good book for beginners

          > bobby> Can someone recommend me a good book for beginners who do not
          have
          > bobby> progrmming skills. Also a good web site with the content.
          Thanks a
          > bobby> lot in advance. Bob.

          Bobby: merlyn went out of his way to avoid a well-earned plug. His
          "Learning Perl" (3d ed.) from O'Reilly is probably the standard
          introductory Perl book. I have used it myself in teaching an
          introductory Perl course to students who mainly did not have previous
          programming training.

          But there is a book specifically designed to teach the elements of
          programming with Perl. Oddly enough, it's called "Elements of
          Programming with Perl," by Andrew L Johnson (formerly a very active
          contributor to this list) and it's published by Manning.

          > Aren't new subscribers to this list sent a resource FAQ, like pointers
          > to http://learn.perl.org? If not, can the responsible people please
          > set up such a "welcome to PBML" doc?

          Randal: AFAIK, new subscribers do not receive any resource list. The
          list itself is listed in Yahoo! Groups as unmoderated and I've never
          seen any moderator intervention one way or the other. Perhaps someone
          could write such a list and then write a program (in Perl, of course) to
          post it monthly much like Tad's posting guidelines on
          comp.lang.perl.misc.

          Jim Keenan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004

            >> Aren't new subscribers to this list sent a resource FAQ, like pointers
            >> to http://learn.perl.org? If not, can the responsible people please
            >> set up such a "welcome to PBML" doc?
            >>

            James> Randal: AFAIK, new subscribers do not receive any resource list. The
            James> list itself is listed in Yahoo! Groups as unmoderated and I've never
            James> seen any moderator intervention one way or the other.

            There's still a "list owner". There's still a mechanism by which a text
            file or welcome message is sent for every new subscriber. If that list
            contained nothing but:

            Be sure you look at:

            http://learn.perl.org/
            perldoc (especially perldoc perlfaq)
            the archives of this list
            http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/columns.html

            before posting a question!

            It'd save me repeating that same stuff IN messsages every time, annoying
            the hell out of the seasoned readers. :)

          • bobby_joness
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "bobby_joness"
              <bobby_joness@y...> wrote:
              > Can someone recommend me a good book for beginners who do not have
              > progrmming skills. Also a good web site with the content. Thanks a
              > lot in advance. Bob.

              I would like to thank J.E. Cripps, merlyn@ stonehenge.com and James
              E Keenan for their good advice regarding perl for beginners. Most of
              the problems I have been facing are I have a server in a windows xp
              operating system. I would like to get to learn perl to design my own
              scripts. Most of the books I have seen are for an Unix environment
              and some of the most elemental example I have been able to execute.
              Some others have not. I have installed perl for windows and all of
              my scripts are written with he right path c:\perl\perl.exe however
              still there are a few example in books that I can not get to work in
              the server.
              Bob
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004

                bobby> Most of the problems I have been facing are I have a server in
                bobby> a windows xp operating system. I would like to get to learn
                bobby> perl to design my own scripts. Most of the books I have seen
                bobby> are for an Unix environment and some of the most elemental
                bobby> example I have been able to execute. Some others have not. I
                bobby> have installed perl for windows and all of my scripts are
                bobby> written with he right path c:\perl\perl.exe however still there
                bobby> are a few example in books that I can not get to work in the
                bobby> server.

                You keep saying "the server". Is this a box that you are sitting at,
                and can get a console prompt inside a terminal window? In that case,
                *most* of the scripts you encounter as a beginner should work just
                fine.

                If not, are you trying to execute these scripts through CGI and uploading
                them with FTP? If so, most of the scripts *won't* run, as CGI is not
                Perl's primary interface (then, now, or forever {grin}).

                Can you elaborate?