Scoping Variables

  • essential quint
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
      Greetings,

      Am not sure of how easy this is to answer, but I'm trying to figure out how
      to scope my variables. Am just wondering what characteristics help one to
      identify a global variable that must be passed in as a parameter from one
      that is locally defined?

      Thanks,

      Will

      Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
      access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004

        essential> Am not sure of how easy this is to answer, but I'm trying
        essential> to figure out how to scope my variables. Am just wondering
        essential> what characteristics help one to identify a global variable
        essential> that must be passed in as a parameter from one that is
        essential> locally defined?

        Generally, global variable linkage is bad. If you google for
        "site:stonehenge.com global", you'll come across a number of magazine
        articles where I say that.

        You might want to skip directly to my recent article on scoping, at
        <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col46.html>.