RE: [PBML] CMD shell updating without newline

  • doug
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Randall:

      Thanks for the note. Progress bar to my understanding will paint a sequence
      of 50 hash marks, the update() is adding those hash marks. I am looking to
      have one line updated or replaced, not concatenated.

      Leaving the script the way it is, is fine. I was just looking to see if
      there was some cool way to do this.

      But thank you...

      Douglas

    • daymobrew@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "doug" <doug@d...> wrote:
        > Randall:
        >
        > Thanks for the note. Progress bar to my understanding will paint a
        sequence
        > of 50 hash marks, the update() is adding those hash marks. I am
        looking to
        > have one line updated or replaced, not concatenated.
        >
        > Leaving the script the way it is, is fine. I was just looking to
        see if
        > there was some cool way to do this.
        >
        > But thank you...
        >
        > Douglas

        Maybe the code in Term::ProgressBar will help you determine how to
        update the terminal window without using a newline.

        Alternately you can try this:
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        $| = 1; # Autoflush after each output.
        print "Hello";
        sleep( 2 );
        print "\r"; # Go to start of line.
        print "there";
        sleep( 2 );
        print "\r";
        # Prints 'Byere' because the 're' of 'there' is not overwritten.
        print "Bye";
      • doug
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
          Thanks... It worked...