Re: [PBML] CMD shell updating without newline

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      >>>>> "doug" == doug <doug@...> writes:

      doug> I have a script that runs all day, it checks every 30 seconds to do its
      doug> task. I have it report the real time each 30 seconds (showing it is running
      doug> and not hung). This fills the cmd window as it runs all day long with the
      doug> date string.

      doug> My question is there a way to update the CMD window display with the current
      doug> time string without adding a new date string and newline?

      doug> example:

      doug> No SGML Files to process at 17:42:33
      doug> No SGML Files to process at 17:43:3
      doug> No SGML Files to process at 17:43:33
      doug> No SGML Files to process at 17:44:3

      doug> what I would like is one line like this that is superseded each time:

      doug> No SGML Files to process at 17:44:3

      See Term::ProgessBar in the CPAN.

    • doug
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        Randall:

        Thanks for the note. Progress bar to my understanding will paint a sequence
        of 50 hash marks, the update() is adding those hash marks. I am looking to
        have one line updated or replaced, not concatenated.

        Leaving the script the way it is, is fine. I was just looking to see if
        there was some cool way to do this.

        But thank you...

        Douglas

      • daymobrew@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "doug" <doug@d...> wrote:
          > Randall:
          >
          > Thanks for the note. Progress bar to my understanding will paint a
          sequence
          > of 50 hash marks, the update() is adding those hash marks. I am
          looking to
          > have one line updated or replaced, not concatenated.
          >
          > Leaving the script the way it is, is fine. I was just looking to
          see if
          > there was some cool way to do this.
          >
          > But thank you...
          >
          > Douglas

          Maybe the code in Term::ProgressBar will help you determine how to
          update the terminal window without using a newline.

          Alternately you can try this:
          #!/usr/bin/perl -w

          $| = 1; # Autoflush after each output.
          print "Hello";
          sleep( 2 );
          print "\r"; # Go to start of line.
          print "there";
          sleep( 2 );
          print "\r";
          # Prints 'Byere' because the 're' of 'there' is not overwritten.
          print "Bye";
        • doug
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
            Thanks... It worked...