Re: [PBML] Spreadsheet::WriteExcel write restrictions

  • Erik Tank
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      The only thing that I can think of would be to use XML::Excel (converts
      Excel to XML - I've never used it so I don't know how well it works).
      Then recreate the whole file using the XML data and then the new data.

      Jeff Eggen wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm trying to compile stats for various webservers at use in my environment, and thought I'd use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to store the data in Excel to simplify various trending / statistical type tasks that management may request down the road. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Spreadsheet::WriteExcel allows you to edit an already created spreadsheet. Does anyone know of a way around this limitation, or am I stuck? I looked on CPAN and found Spreadsheet::TieExcel, but it requires Excel to be running and I'm going to be running these scripts on Solaris machines.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jeff Eggen
      > IT Programmer Analyst
      > Saskatchewan Government Insurance
      > Ph (306) 751-1795
      > email jeggen@...

      Erik

      Live life ... don't let it live you.
    • Jeff Eggen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
        >>> erik@... 12/02/03 11:26pm >>>
        >The only thing that I can think of would be to use XML::Excel (converts
        >Excel to XML - I've never used it so I don't know how well it works).
        >Then recreate the whole file using the XML data and then the new data.

        I had looked at the XML::Excel module on CPAN, and figured that would be the way to go if the direct Excel method didn't pan out, which it looks like it isn't. A pure spreadsheet solution would be optimal, but if it can't be done XML looks like the way to go. Thanks Erik!