Perl on windows

  • reza7310
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi,
      I have programmed with perl for a long time but never on windows, I
      downloaded activeperl yesterday and It seemed to be very hard to
      program in it. is there a unix like enviroment that I can use to
      program easier?
      Thanks
      Reza
    • Brad Lhotsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
        http://www.cygwin.com

        On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:34:27PM -0000, reza7310 wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have programmed with perl for a long time but never on windows, I
        > downloaded activeperl yesterday and It seemed to be very hard to
        > program in it. is there a unix like enviroment that I can use to
        > program easier?
        > Thanks
        > Reza

        Brad Lhotsky <brad@...>
      • Damien Carbery
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "reza7310" <reza7310@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I have programmed with perl for a long time but never on windows, I
          > downloaded activeperl yesterday and It seemed to be very hard to
          > program in it. is there a unix like enviroment that I can use to
          > program easier?
          > Thanks
          > Reza

          What part of programming with ActiveState's perl is hard?
          Is it the lack of a suitable editor? There was a discussion last week
          on editors with multiple suggestions.

          With a little care, scripts can work on Unix and Windows without
          modification e.g. always use '/' as a path separator.
        • DBM Krishna
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
            I have problem with installing the modules in the windows version ...I don't
            know how to use nmake and compilation of .c and .h files

            using PPM is very easy but we have limited modules in the active state
            repositeries...Let me know any alternative / tool which makes installing
            modules easier in windows

            Thanks,
            DBM Krishna

            > I have programmed with perl for a long time but never on windows, I
            > downloaded activeperl yesterday and It seemed to be very hard to
            > program in it. is there a unix like enviroment that I can use to
            > program easier?
            > Thanks
            > Reza

            What part of programming with ActiveState's perl is hard?
            Is it the lack of a suitable editor? There was a discussion last week on
            editors with multiple suggestions.

            With a little care, scripts can work on Unix and Windows without
            modification e.g. always use '/' as a path separator.

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ndFolB/TM

          • Damien Carbery
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "DBM Krishna" <krishna@v...> wrote:

              > I have problem with installing the modules in the windows version
              ...I don't
              > know how to use nmake and compilation of .c and .h files
              >
              > using PPM is very easy but we have limited modules in the active state
              > repositeries...Let me know any alternative / tool which makes installing
              > modules easier in windows
              >
              > Thanks,
              > DBM Krishna

              I looked around ActiveState's web site and found an email address
              where you can ask that they include a module in the PPM repository.

              email: ppm-request@...
              subject=ActivePerl: PPM support for a particular package

              See:
              http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/more_information.plex