How to install the modules in widows

  • DBM Krishna
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      I have installed perl from active state. I am able to connect only few
      repositories and install the modules from those repositories, but how could
      I install the CPAN modules and I have downloaded some modules but after
      unzipping the tar.gz files I found some .C and .H files do I need to compile
      them manually .? if so which compiler do I need to use .?

      Please help on this

      Thanks,

      DBM Krishna

    • Yevgueny
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        Help me, please, with this small problem. I just want to get a list
        of files in a directory.

        opendir (DIR, "C:\\APP");
        foreach (readdir (DIR)) {
        print "$_\n";
        }
        closedir (DIR);

        So, in Win2000 I get something a kind of this:
        .
        ..
        BC520RTL.DLL
        FPHELP.GID
        FPHELP.HLP

        When I do the same in Win98 I can't get the filenames at all and see
        only:
        .

        What's wrong with this? Is it a problem in Perl for Windows or what?
      • Damien Carbery
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Yevgueny" <dneprbeb@y...> wrote:
          > Help me, please, with this small problem. I just want to get a list
          > of files in a directory.
          >
          > opendir (DIR, "C:\\APP");
          > foreach (readdir (DIR)) {
          > print "$_\n";
          > }
          > closedir (DIR);
          >
          > So, in Win2000 I get something a kind of this:
          > .
          > ..
          > BC520RTL.DLL
          > FPHELP.GID
          > FPHELP.HLP
          >
          > When I do the same in Win98 I can't get the filenames at all and see
          > only:
          > .
          >
          > What's wrong with this? Is it a problem in Perl for Windows or what?

          Does the C:\APP directory exist? Does it have files in it?
          I ask this because the code looks fine.
        • Yevgueny
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
            wrote:
            > Help me, please, with this small problem. I just want to get a list
            > of files in a directory.
            >
            > opendir (DIR, "C:\\APP");
            > foreach (readdir (DIR)) {
            > print "$_\n";
            > }
            > closedir (DIR);
            >
            > So, in Win2000 I get something a kind of this:
            > .
            > ..
            > BC520RTL.DLL
            > FPHELP.GID
            > FPHELP.HLP
            >
            > When I do the same in Win98 I can't get the filenames at all and
            see
            > only:
            > .

            I can't get why do those dots appear? Moreover, they go as
            directories. What do they mean?
          • Damien Carbery
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Yevgueny" <dneprbeb@y...> wrote:
              > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Yevgueny" <dneprbeb@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Help me, please, with this small problem. I just want to get a list
              > > of files in a directory.
              > >
              > > opendir (DIR, "C:\\APP");
              > > foreach (readdir (DIR)) {
              > > print "$_\n";
              > > }
              > > closedir (DIR);
              > >
              > > So, in Win2000 I get something a kind of this:
              > > .
              > > ..
              > > BC520RTL.DLL
              > > FPHELP.GID
              > > FPHELP.HLP
              > >
              > > When I do the same in Win98 I can't get the filenames at all and
              > see
              > > only:
              > > .
              > >

              > I can't get why do those dots appear? Moreover, they go as
              > directories. What do they mean?

              If you go into any directory there are always two directory entries:
              '.' points to the current directory
              '..' points to the parent directory. In the root directory it points
              to the current directory.

              I think they exist to allow you to move up and down directories i.e.
              like links on a linked list, without them you won't know how to get
              from one directory to another.
              Someone else can probably explain it much more thoroughly. In the
              meantime you might be able to find something on the web.