sessions expiry

  • cgiperl
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi All

      I need to implement sessions with autorefresh.
      What I want to do is as follows

      User is at Page index.pl - create a session with timestamp parameter
      User browses the website and ends up at (say) somepage.cgi for 30 secs
      At the end of 30 secs I want to kick them off to index.pl

      I have implemeted sessions and can carry and retrive values use
      CGI::Session but need to know how do I automatically kick them out after
      a given amount a time (30 secs in this case)

      Help appreciated.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003

        cgiperl> I have implemeted sessions and can carry and retrive values use
        cgiperl> CGI::Session but need to know how do I automatically kick them out after
        cgiperl> a given amount a time (30 secs in this case)

        If they are actively fetching pages, then put an expiry time in the
        CGI::Session record, and when that time has past, issue a redirect
        on the next hit.

        If you want to force my browser to go to a different page after I'm
        just sitting there reading it, first consider why I shouldn't come
        over there and slap you silly. "Force" does not work on the net.
        Only requests do.

      • Damien Carbery
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, cgiperl <amancgiperl@n...> wrote:
          > Hi All
          >
          > I need to implement sessions with autorefresh.
          > What I want to do is as follows
          >
          > User is at Page index.pl - create a session with timestamp parameter
          > User browses the website and ends up at (say) somepage.cgi for 30 secs
          > At the end of 30 secs I want to kick them off to index.pl
          >
          > I have implemeted sessions and can carry and retrive values use
          > CGI::Session but need to know how do I automatically kick them out
          after
          > a given amount a time (30 secs in this case)
          >
          > Help appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks

          Could you use a meta tag to redirect to index.pl after 30 secs. If the
          user moves to another page within 30 secs they will not be redirected.
          The meta tag goes in the HTML header area:
          meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="30;url=/index.pl"
          (obviously angle brackets around this line; I excluded them to ensure
          you could see the 'code')