newbie regex question

  • mdowsz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hey list

      could anyone on the list give me some hints on creating a quick and
      dirty script to transform sgml code to xml compliant code. In the case
      of the data I'm working with i really just need to switch all caps
      within tags to their lowercased equivelents, nothing fancy.

      so for example i would like this

      <DSC TYPE="IN-DEPTH">
      <HEAD>Collection Listing</HEAD>
      <C01 LEVEL="SERIES">
      <DID><UNITTITLE>my title</UNITTITLE></DID>
      </C01>
      to become this

      <dsc type="in-depth">
      <head>Collection Listing</head>
      <c01 level="series">
      </c01>
      </dsc>

      I'm working on learning regex, but havent had much luck yet.
      any perspective would be appreciated.

      thanks

      -d
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003

        mdowsz> Hey list
        mdowsz> could anyone on the list give me some hints on creating a quick and
        mdowsz> dirty script to transform sgml code to xml compliant code. In the case
        mdowsz> of the data I'm working with i really just need to switch all caps
        mdowsz> within tags to their lowercased equivelents, nothing fancy.

        mdowsz> so for example i would like this

        mdowsz> <DSC TYPE="IN-DEPTH">
        mdowsz> <HEAD>Collection Listing</HEAD>
        mdowsz> <C01 LEVEL="SERIES">
        mdowsz> <DID><UNITTITLE>my title</UNITTITLE></DID>
        mdowsz> </C01>
        mdowsz> .....
        mdowsz> to become this
        mdowsz> .......

        mdowsz> <dsc type="in-depth">
        mdowsz> <head>Collection Listing</head>
        mdowsz> <c01 level="series">
        mdowsz> </c01>
        mdowsz> </dsc>
        mdowsz> .........

        mdowsz> I'm working on learning regex, but havent had much luck yet.
        mdowsz> any perspective would be appreciated.

        Using "xsh" (see xsh.sourceforge.net), this would be as simple
        as:

        open d = "originalfile.sgml";
        rename { $_ = lc $_ } //*;
        # if you want attributes lowercased as well as elements, make that:
        # rename { $_ = lc $_ } //*|//@*;
        save d "newfile.xml";

        xsh rocks.

      • mdowsz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          looks great thanks!

          > Using "xsh" (see xsh.sourceforge.net), this would be as simple
          > as:
          >
          > open d = "originalfile.sgml";
          > rename { $_ = lc $_ } //*;
          > # if you want attributes lowercased as well as elements, make that:
          > save d "newfile.xml";
          >
          > xsh rocks.

          777 0095
          > <merlyn@s...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>