Re: [PBML] Writing to a file from STDIN

  • aaronas@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
      Just out of curiosity what would happen if you were
      to..

      FILEHANDLE = <STDIN>;

      --- "J.E. Cripps" <cycmn@...> wrote:

      > > Hi
      > > I have a program that reads from STDIN, and I want
      > to write all the
      > > data to a file, the info that I am reading can be
      > more than 3-4 Mb
      > > and I dont want to save it to a string
      > > the only way that I could
      > > think of was reading one line at a time and write
      > it to a file, is
      > > there a way that I can redirect my STDIN to a
      > file?
      >
      > Same as one redirects anything to a file, no?
      >
      > Look at page 13 of the Camel Book (Programming
      > Perl)
      > That's the 2nd edition. I've been trying to find
      > the
      > cite to the appropriate perldoc, but am forgetting
      > something
      > there. Any hints?

    • J.E. Cripps
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
        On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 aaronas@... wondered:

        > Just out of curiosity what would happen if you were
        > to..

        > FILEHANDLE = <STDIN>;

        Well, you could try it and see :-)

        It won't work. (I think you were being led astray
        by the fact that , as I understand it, one can't
        declare a filehandle as lexical....which _is_ correct)