Writing to a file from STDIN

  • reza7310
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
      Hi
      I have a program that reads from STDIN, and I want to write all the
      data to a file, the info that I am reading can be more than 3-4 Mb
      and I dont want to save it to a string, the only way that I could
      think of was reading one line at a time and write it to a file, is
      there a way that I can redirect my STDIN to a file?

      Thanks for your comments in advance
      Reza
    • J.E. Cripps
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
        > Hi
        > I have a program that reads from STDIN, and I want to write all the
        > data to a file, the info that I am reading can be more than 3-4 Mb
        > and I dont want to save it to a string
        > the only way that I could
        > think of was reading one line at a time and write it to a file, is
        > there a way that I can redirect my STDIN to a file?

        Same as one redirects anything to a file, no?

        Look at page 13 of the Camel Book (Programming Perl)
        That's the 2nd edition. I've been trying to find the
        cite to the appropriate perldoc, but am forgetting something
        there. Any hints?
      • aaronas@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
          Just out of curiosity what would happen if you were
          to..

          FILEHANDLE = <STDIN>;

          --- "J.E. Cripps" <cycmn@...> wrote:

          > > Hi
          > > I have a program that reads from STDIN, and I want
          > to write all the
          > > data to a file, the info that I am reading can be
          > more than 3-4 Mb
          > > and I dont want to save it to a string
          > > the only way that I could
          > > think of was reading one line at a time and write
          > it to a file, is
          > > there a way that I can redirect my STDIN to a
          > file?
          >
          > Same as one redirects anything to a file, no?
          >
          > Look at page 13 of the Camel Book (Programming
          > Perl)
          > That's the 2nd edition. I've been trying to find
          > the
          > cite to the appropriate perldoc, but am forgetting
          > something
          > there. Any hints?

        • J.E. Cripps
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 aaronas@... wondered:

            > Just out of curiosity what would happen if you were
            > to..

            > FILEHANDLE = <STDIN>;

            Well, you could try it and see :-)

            It won't work. (I think you were being led astray
            by the fact that , as I understand it, one can't
            declare a filehandle as lexical....which _is_ correct)