Re: [PBML] why error?

  • Kul
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Franki wrote:

      > $sc_scart_index_of_quantity = $scart{"quantity"};
      >
      > The line above is in a script I am working on...
      >
      > Now this is simple I think
      >
      > Does it now state that this: $sc_scart_index_of_quantity
      > Is set to be equal to: $scart{"quantity"};
      >
      > I didn't think that setting a variable could possibly responsible for a
      > server 500 error..
      >
      > And yet in this script, ANYTHING that is set to $scart{"quantity"};
      >
      > Like so, $some_variable = $scart{"quantity"};
      >
      > Will cause a server 500 error....
      >
      > Can anyone tell me why this could be?
      >
      > How could setting a variable be responsible for a 500 error if that variable
      > doesn't exist anywhere else?
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > Frank Hauptle

      Does your cgi script have a use strict in it?
      Have your tried running the script as a non cgi?
      Have you looked in the server error logs?
      Regards
      Kul
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Well, I am not sure how to run it from a console, it is one file of about 10
        or 15 in the whole script...

        It is set to run perl with -T at the end of it,, what does that mean?

        Frank Hauptle
        http://www.gshop.com.au/
        franki@...

      • cajun@cajuninc.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          -T forces "taint" checks to be turned on so you can test
          them. Ordinarily these checks are done only when
          running setuid or setgid. It's a good idea to turn
          them on explicitly for programs that run on behalf of
          someone else whom you might not necessarily trust,
          such as CGI programs or any internet servers you
          might write in Perl. See the perlsec manpage for
          details. For security reasons, this option must be
          seen by Perl quite early; usually this means it must
          appear early on the command line or in the #! line
          for systems which support that construct.

          HTH,
          Mike

          --

          Linux: Because Bill Gates can't keep it up this long
          10:12am up 2 days, 19:07, 7 users, load average: 1.05, 1.12, 1.15